A Dangerous Path

Komodo shrieked and flapped his wings furiously. He began to rise into the air, beating his wings and trying to get away from the monster. The demented horse jaws closed right where he had been a moment before, and it immediately struck again. It sprang up at him, trying to snatch him out of the air as he beat his small wings even harder.

     The obsidian-black dragon glared at Komodo out of the corner of his inferno crimson eyes, rather like Komodo was an unpleasant bug. He didn't seem to be interested in the small dragon, but was glancing around, maybe hoping Capella would return.

     Komodo shivered in fear and rose, wobbling, into the air. He began to fly backwards, right into a bush. The midnight dragon looked disappointed, staring at the bush. "Well, I refuse to believe this weakling is in the prophecy, but just to be sure, I guess you can kill him." the dragon looked away from Komodo, like he couldn't stand to see him for a moment longer.

     "It would be an honor, Master Nightfall..." the sea creature said in their horrible voice. Komodo struggled in the entangling leaves, attempting to escape. The monstrous animal approached him with wild, angry eyes. "He thinks he can escape! I am a mighty Kelpie, you weakling!" it roared, eyes flashing with hatred. They seemed to be very egoistical, or just insane.

     The kelpie reared back, baring it's jagged teeth. Komodo clenched his eyes shut. This is the end. This is it. I'm going to become seahorse food... not the death I imagined... he thought hopelessly.

     Capella was shivering and traumatized, with a giant fish flung over her shoulders. Ace was flapping noisily above her with two giant fish clutched in each of his talons. A drop of fish saliva plopped onto her head.

     "Can you quit that?!" she snapped, angry that she had nearly become fish food. "Ife mot thryin to dfo thraf!" Ace complained pathetically. "Yeah wha-" Capella started.

     She saw the giant fish thump down beside her and Ace's expression turn serious before he shot out in front of them. Capella saw a horrifying scene playing out in front of her, a strange pale green horse, a pure-black dragon, and Komodo trying to escape from a bush he was entangled in.

     She felt adrenaline coursing through her veins and before she could even realize what she was doing she had shrugged the fish off of her shoulders, sprung out of the trees, grabbed the sea creature by the neck, and lifted it into the air with powerful feathery wing beats.

     She imagined the flapping of a birds wings, replicating their elegant movements with a flame of fury burning in her swirling hazel eyes.

     Komodo awaited the jaws, but they never came. He cracked open his eyes, just in time to see the screeching Kelpie being lifted off of the ground by none other than Capella, who looked like she was going to faint from the exertion. Komodo opened his eyes fully and stared at her in awe, admiring her strength.

     Behind the kelpie being lifted off of the ground Ace and Nightfall were clashing talon against talon, not a very fair fight considering the obsidian dragon towered above Ace. The enormous dragon struck again the smaller crimson one, who blocked it with his spiked tail, pushing the larger dragon slightly away.

     Ace opened his mouth and showered the larger dragon in flames, who roared in fury, flinging his arms over his face as if trying to shield himself. He leaped backwards, fury in his eyes, and then charged again, flapping his wings and gaining speed.

     Capella continued lifting the Kelpie, and then dropped the seaweed covered horse. The Kelpie fell about 8 times it's body height and there was a sickening crack as it hit the ground skull-first.