Chapter 2 - Train Tracks

Beatrice

When I finally found Wirt's house, I was delighted. It'd been a year since I'd last seen him. Of course, he didn't know who I was. Not that I'd blame him - he never saw me in human form. It wasn't like I wanted him to, though. I knew he would not like me in this form. I wasn't pretty. And I saw him with that girl... Sara? They were a couple, I'd spied on them on dates millions of times. A girl like me with a guy like him?
He was smart, cute, and cynical. Okay, maybe that last one wasn't a good trait, but I met him as a bird, so...
I was ripped out of my thoughts my the loud honk of a horn. A train came whizzing by. We ran out of the way of the train tracks we'd been following.
"Let's stop at the next station and get on the train." Wirt suggested.
Greg gasped. "I've never been on a train!" I laughed and Wirt frowned.
"What?" I asked.
"I didn't call my girlfriend. I forgot... How long do you think this will take? Man, she's gonna be so mad..." Wirt rambled.
"Wirt, shut up." I said. He looked at me and his frown deepened.
"Hey..." He began, but quickly stopped.
"Pushover," I mumbled and we all laughed, even Greg, who I imagined had no idea what that word meant.
We came to a rickety old train station. It was tiny and made entirely of wood. We sat and ate granola bars Wirt brought. The sun would be setting within the hour. Greg searched for bugs while Wirt and I talked.
"So," Wirt began. "How have you been? I see you're human."
"Yeah and I'm good."
"Your family isn't mad you turned them into bluebirds?" I shook my head. "That's good... Do you think trains actually stop here, I mean..."
"Wirt, we'll be fine."
As if on cue, the train rolled in. The darkening sky looked placed against the shadowed trees and black train, the yellow light shinning and lighting its way. The grinding noise it made as it rolled by sounded beautiful. As did the loud horn. It chugged to a stop and we got on. We found an empty car and sat down. It was covered in red plush, with gold seats and dark brown wood tables. We sat in one, with a window next to it. We closed the expensive curtains, leaving the room to be lit with only a yellowish glow. The car piled up with animals in nice clothing. The car was filled with the sounds of chattering mouths.
A conductor came by as the train started up again, asking for tickets.
"No! We don't have any," Wirt whispered angrily.
"We'll be fine." I replied, as the conductor walked over.
"Tickets," he asked.
"We don't have any." I stated.
He looked dumbfounded. "Why, uh, why not?"
"Well we came to a station and I'm afraid there wasn't even a ticket booth! We didn't know we needed tickets-" I began.
"Save it. You will pay by working in the coal area for a while. Forty five minutes should suffice. Follow me," he replied. That was an oddly fast way to find another way. Perhaps this happened often. We followed him down a few empty carts to a mine cart. It was filled with piles of coal and pits to shovel it into. We began working right away. Greg talked to me during this time.
"So you're not a bluebird?" he asked.
"I forgot - you weren't there with us... Yeah. I threw a rock at a bluebird and it cursed me and my family to be bluebirds." I explained.
"You're lying." he stated. He sounded confused, like he didn't know why I would lie. I stood in science. How did he know?
"How-" I began.
"You didn't throw a rock at a bluebird, silly." He laughed and walked to a separate pit and began shoveling there.
How did this little kid see right through me?
By the time I realized I should look up at the clock, I realized time was up. i threw down my shovel and walked out of the room as fast as I could. I found a bathroom and did my best to clean the soot off me. A lady walked in.
"Oh, dear, do you need an extra dress?" She asked.
"That'd be lovely, but I have no way to pay you and I can't get it back."
"Nonsense. I have plenty. Besides, only half fit since I've gotten so old." I laughed and she handed me a dress. I walked into a stall, took off my dress, cleaned myself off, and changed into the dress.
It was green and poofy around the skirt. It was shinny, and the top was corset-like. The sleeves fell off my shoulders elegantly. She'd also given me green flats to go with it. I came out and looked in the mirror. My hair was still in a bun, though the ribbons were all gone and thick strands fell from it. I looked very elegant.
"Thanks, but-" I began.
The old lady laughed an airy laugh. "Not right for the occasion? No matter. Keep the dress, it may come in handy." She handed me another pile of clothes. I went back into the stall and changed. I handed her the dress, and she folded it into a tight square.
My new outfit was a white t-shirt, brown jeans that were well-broken in, brown boots, and a brown jacket. I also had a brown messenger bag and I put the dress and shoes in there. I found it was also equipped with water, matches, and food. I thanked her and hurried out. I pulled my hair out of the intricate bun and pulled it into a tight, high pony tail.
"Wow, Beatrice..." Wirt began.
"Shut up, Wirt," I laughed.