Chapter 5 - Back Into The Unknown

Wirt
"are we back into the unknown?" i asked beatrice.
"no. that only happens when none of us are thinking about it. so just try to push it from your mind. itll be hard. but its the only way. just think of sara or something." she replied.
"how do you know about sara? i mean, i talked about her, but i never said her name..."
"you already said you had a crush on her and stuff. all that time ago. i just assumed you were dating now." she said seriously. then, to make her comment more lighthearted, she added, "not that youre boyfriend material." we laughed, though i could see she didnt really mean it (and neither did i).
greg was a few feet ahead of us, collecting rocks. his new thing was to give someone a rock whenever he told a rock fact. he ran back towards us.
"wanna hear a rock fact?" he asked. beatrice nodded, trying to look eager for greg's sake. "ok. did you know trees are super tall people?" he laughed and handed her a rock. did you know lakes are made from the-" he whispered the next part "'-number one-'" he went back to a normal volume "-of giants?" he laughed and handed her a rock. "did you know wirt likes you?" this time he did not laugh or give her a rock.
she smiled and laughed. "dont i get a rock?"
"no. that wasn't a rock fact." he frowned and skipped forward.
i felt my face turn the color of my hat. i saw beatrice blush.
"you know... hes just a kid..." i began.
"right, a kid. he has no idea what he was saying." i swear i heard disappointment in beatrices voice. i figured it was just my imagination and i shrugged it off.
we continued walking for a few hours. the scenery hardly changed. it was trees for miles.
"wait, if we arent in the unknown, why were those animals on the train and everyone weve seen dressed all funny?" i asked.
"i told you. the forest is dying. that means the boundaries between the unknown and your world are breaking." beatrice explained.
"what..." i began.
suddenly, a voice from behind us said, "welcome to the unknown, boys."
we turned around, but i don't remember anything. the next thing i know is that im locked to a wall with a chain, with bars around me. beatrice was in the next stall over to the right and greg was to my left.
"what happened?" i asked rubbing my aching head.
"i dont remember." beatrice agreed.
"were stuck in a prison, we did something bad, oops now were arrested." greg sang.
"greg shush." i slumped.
"you shush." he countered.
we argued like that until beatrice yelled, "stop it you two!" we froze and she continued. "we need to get out." she pulled a clip from her hair and began picking the lock on her foot cuff. she got it, rubbed her ankle, stood, unlocked the door and walked out. then she unlocked my door and my cuff, them gregs.
i thanked her with a "thanks" but greg gave her a huge hug. we looked around, but there appeared to be no exits. we were inspecting for secret passages when a voice appeared from behind us.
"if you want to leave, just ask." it said. we turned in sync, but greg waddled around. "i am the unknowns number seven worker. its my job to make sure no one damages the unknown. not that ive done very well. anyway, you were having trouble finding the unknown and that is because one of you still has the beast in them."
"what does that mean?" beatrice asked.
"the beast was one of the terrorizing forces in the unknown. he was vanquished, mostly. if you still believe hes here..."
"hes gone." i stated.
"wirts right." beatrice agreed.
we looked at greg, who was dancing with his frog.
"greg, you know the beast is gone for good?" i asked.
"no. i remember him." greg giggled.
"he was real but now hes dead. he was a bad guy and if you think he is still alive, we cant save the unknown." i explained.
gregs eyes lit up. "oh. so hes not alive?"
i shook my head. "hes gone."
the next thing i knew, i was on the floor of the forest. the dirt path was uncomfortable on my back i got up to face beatrice and greg.
"were back," i said, smiling.
finally.