Chapter 7 - The Crook's Tale

"De-Dementors?" whispered Lily, looking up with fearful eyes at James, whose face was pale.  "Dementors...with Harry...what?  How?"

"I think the correct question is why" said Sirius grimly, yanking Mundungus up by the collar of his robes, and looking around the square outside furtively, before slamming the door.  He stormed through to the kitchen, everyone hurrying along behind him, and pushed the unconscious crook roughly into a chair.

"Enervate" he said, pointing his wand into his face, and Mundungus' eyes opened again, going wide as he took in the worried faces around him.

"Mundungus, what's happened to Harry?" said Arthur, stepping forward.   Molly was clutching his arm desperately, her face showing open concern, and a little way behind her the children were all watching anxiously.  Mundungus looked at Arthur, before eyeing Sirius' wand – still pointed at him – and gulping.

"Well, it was a very good business deal yuh see, and I couldna' just -"  Mundungus' words faultered as he saw the murderous looks he was receiving.

"Do you mean to say, Mundungous Fletcher, that you left Harry, alone and unprotected, because you spotted a business opportunity?" came a deep voice.  Everyone jumped as Albus Dumbledore, who had been watching from the sidelines, stepped forward, his own wand out.  Mundungus looked terrified.

"Well -" he stammered, "I mean –  Well, he weren't so unprotected and alone and all that, I mean ol' Figgy was there an' all, wa'nt she?"  He quailed under Dumbledore's furious look.  The old headmaster had remained visibly calm; however, his eyes were burning, and in his anger he seemed to radiate power.

"Mundungus Fletcher, you know perfectly well that Ms. FIgg is a squib."  He ignored Mundungus' frightened gulp, and began pacing.

"So you left Harry – then what happened?"

"Well, I don't know exac'ly wha' happened, 'cause I wa'nt there -"  More growls followed this statement.  The furious expression Sirius wore reminded Ron and Hermione forcibly of the expression he had worn in the Shrieking Shack, when he had wanted to kill Wormtail – and James' expression was similarly frightening.  However, both, like Lily, had concern in their eyes.  Mundungus hurried on.

"But from wha' Figgy said, there were Dementors – they came after 'Arry and his cousin (the fat muggle) and 'Arry fought 'em off"  Dumbledore's mad look was replaced by a weary expression, and he ran a hand wearily over his face.

"So Harry used magic?" he asked, although everyone already knew the answer.  Suddenly he snapped into action.

"Okay, Remus, Bill, contact the Order.  Harry will probably have got his letter by now, so try to hurry.  Arthur, Sirius - one of you write to Harry.  Make sure he doesn't do any further magic, and make sure he doesn't leave the house.  I'm going to go straight to the Ministry now."  Dumbledore clapped his hands together, and those with instructions everyone shook themselves and set about doing as he had commanded.  He turned to leave.

Remus gave both Potters a quick, tight hug, before heading towards the door, giving Sirius a gentle nudge, who looked reluctant to leave.  Sirius took a last, long look at his two friends, then clapped James on the shoulder and quickly left the room.  Lily and James looked on in horror at the retreating figures, terrified bewilderment settling over them.

"But – wait!" Lily cried fervently, "What letter?  Albus, what's happening to my son?"  Dumbledore looked around, gazing at Lily, before hurrying over to her once more.

"Lily," he said softly, looking up to include James in the conversation as well, "I have to go.  Harry's used under-age magic, he will have already got his letter expelling him from Hogwarts -"  Lily and James both gasped.