Chapter 6 - Meetings and Greetings

When Sirius and Remus returned to the kitchen later, everyone could tell that something was different. Something had changed; some burden they hadn't even realised was there had been lifted from their shoulders, and the pair looked more relaxed than they had in years. Their stress lines were a little less pronounced; their eyes held a little less grief. And they were both grinning.

Yes, something was different, and everyone slowly realised what it was. The two men were happy.

***

Lily and James stood outside the door to the kitchen, through which Remus and Sirius had just passed. One more introduction, Dumbledore had said. One more introduction and then the secrecy could end for a while.

Dumbledore entered the room after the others and Lily heard the low murmur of voices. He talked for a few minutes and then, at some direction she had missed, James suddenly tensed beside her and led her towards the door. It opened to reveal a sea of shocked faces; order members staying for dinner, old friends – even the children were there. They looked as though they had just finished eating,sat in stunned silence behind stacks of empty dishes.  The couple stood on display for what felt like an age, before a tall, gangly red-haired boy near the front of the crowd spoke up.

"Are you Harry's parents?"

A girl with copious amounts of frizzy hair slapped him on the arm and muttered a scolding "Ronald!" But the spell had been broken and the crowd suddenly surged forwards, clapping the Potters on the arms, hugging them, proclaiming their disbelief and elation. Only when the mob had withdrawn slightly was Lily able to take in the faces surrounding them. She saw Alastor 'Mad-Eye' Moody, face notably more mutilated than the last time they had met, and recognised Molly and Arthur Weasley, surrounded by a mass of red-hair that she assumed must be their children. Arthur Weasley stepped forwards.

"Lily, James, I don't know if you remember me –"

"Arthur!" said James loudly, clapping the man on the back. Lily stepped forwards and kissed him on each cheek, before moving forwards and grasping his wife in a strong hug.

"Molly!"

Molly Weasley smiled tearfully as she returned the hug. "Oh Lily, dear" she sniffed, wiping her eyes on her apron. "What a miracle!"

She stepped back to reveal the brood behind her and Lily finally got a good look at the children. She thought she had probably seen most of them at some point or another, she and Molly having known each other through Gideon and Fabian, but they had been so small and had been kept so separate from the war effort that she didn't recognise most of them. Molly gestured vaguely into the throng.

"Bill, my eldest –" A handsome young man in his twenties smiled and stepped forward, "and Charlie – " Another moved forwards, "I think you know. . .?" Lily and James nodded.

"Last time I saw you," Lily said, smiling at Bill, "you must have been about ten. And you, Charlie, could only have been about eight." The young men smiled bashfully. Molly continued with the introductions.

"This is Ginny –" A pretty young girl with hair almost redder than her brothers' stepped forwards, smiling.

"Hi," she said, "It's great to finally be able to meet you."

"And this is Fred," (Molly pointed at one teenager) "And George," (she pointed at an identical teen beside the first). The two boys looked indignant.

"No, I'm George" the first said haughtily.

"And I'm Fred. Honestly Mother, can you still not tell us apart?" Molly eyed them shrewdly.

"Okay, then that's Fred and that's George."