chapter three

[ 03 - CHAPTER THREE ]

― ominous remembrance ―

ominous remembrance ―

Indirys Calrissian would never be able to escape the heady odor of alcoholic substances, it seemed. Mere minutes after she and Delorian traded their hustling behavior in the cantina for a less respectable sort of stealing, Lando had appeared to her in the streets, prompting her to accompany him for a drink or two.

Indirys had, of course, requested that they converse in a residence other than the cantina she'd been playing Dejarik in, as she would rather not bear witness to the spiteful comments that were sure to escape the lips of the men she'd beaten. Lando had agreed, but his agreeance hadn't stopped him from leading Indirys into a different bar to talk at.

Ergo, the young girl found herself seated on a hightop, leaning over a filthy and greasy bar as she watched Lando's slow and sluggish movements. His hesitancy as he sipped on the red drink in front of him was rather concerning to Indirys. Lando had never been one to take time to savor the taste of an alcoholic beverage. Not entirely different from his younger sister, he did everything for rush and exhilaration, and his drinking habits were no exception to that unspoken rule.

"You're not drinking," Indirys hummed. She tried not to let her worry show when she spoke, but she doubted the disguise would work against her brother. He probably heard every bit of her underlying anxiety, even as she tried her best to hide it. "Is something bothering you?"

Lando's shoulders bristled and his gaze flitted about his surroundings, almost as if he was maintaining suspicions about his surroundings. Indirys frowned. Lando was never affected by any form of paranoia. He was often cautious, yes, but never paranoid. "Delorian, she...she didn't see us come in here, did she?"

Indirys shook her head, prompting Lando to continue speaking. "Good. I need you to leave Coruscant as soon as you can manage. I would take you with me to Cloud City, but I fear that would put you in more danger than I would be able to protect you from."

A deluge of chills suddenly ran through Indirys' veins, and a sweeping layer of ice froze every one of her muscles. In her mind, she realized she was on a planet with a cordial atmosphere and not an inhospitable one such as Hoth, but her body was telling her otherwise. What danger would Lando need to protect her from? She'd long since grown accustomed to the common dangers that came with her disreputable lifestyle. An intoxicated man's gun would simply set her on edge rather than make her fearful, and she hadn't been afraid of a mere tussle since she was twelve. The danger Lando was speaking of, however, had an air of cripticism that frightened Indirys more than she would like to admit.

"What are you talking about? Lando, what's going on?" Indirys asked, her shoulders straightening as her nerves began to ignite with consternation.

"I met with some Imperials today," the older man explained, his dark eyes refusing to meet with those of his sister. "I didn't want to, but when someone with that much authority tells you to do something, you listen. When I walked in..."