chapter five

[ 05 - CHAPTER FIVE ]

― darkness intrinsic, inherent, personified ―

darkness intrinsic, inherent, personified ―

The galaxy was filled with boys, boys that contrasted as abundantly as the types of clouds on Bespin. If a watchful eye were to look closely enough, it would see that beneath the layers of skin and sinew that covered these boys' bodies, beneath the past wounds and lacerations that had scarred over the passageways of their heart, each boy was made with a different type of stardust than the next.

It was like a fingerprint. The atoms of each person's soul was so delicately created, so carefully woven together that not one soul was identical to another. Even the term for two people that seemed indistinguishable at first glance - identical twins - was a hoax at its core. Twins were no exception to the one golden rule that rang true across the entire galaxy. They, too, had hearts that were laced with fragments from different stars.

There were boys whose souls were decorated with elegant gold engravings, the foliage of their being made up of only the purest substances known to the galaxy. These were the boys that would lead armies in their manhood. They would have the power to watch kingdoms rise out of suffering with a mere twitch of their hand, or their being would be accursed with the duty of razing entire planets until nothing remained but ash and dust.

There were boys whose souls had to be anchored to their body with iron nails and a hammer, because if it wasn't, it would fly away and leave its owner with naught, save for wrinkled and gasping cavities where the spirit once remained. There were boys who would stay boys forever - the starkid that bowed to no reality but the one they knitted in their own mind. These were Indirys' least favorite types, for their foolish and childish behavior tended to drive her mad.

And then there were boys like Boba Fett, who weren't really even boys anymore. Their lives were tales of tragedy and a forsaken childhood. A childhood that shred their innocence to pieces before they had a chance to whisper their goodbyes, and responsibilities that weighed so heavily atop their head that manhood no longer felt like a crown, but a weight to bear.

These were the boys that laughed as young women waited, starving, ravenous, and weary at their doorstep.

Indirys let out a huff of frustration, banging her foot against the clunky metal ship that sloped beneath her. The first time Boba had dumped her on an unfamiliar planet, she waited just past the beginnings of the ramp upon her return to his ship, but she hadn't bothered since. She simply refused to wait past the ramp on a planet like Cantonica.

It was a cruel and unforgiving planet, and any other time, she wouldn't have dared set foot on it. The Outer Rim territories were a land that even the Calrissians wouldn't dare to tread on - too many stories of inhuman governments and barbaris crime syndicates wafted from the corners of the Outer Rim. She'd been travelling with Boba for a week, and up until the dusty planet of Cantonica, he hadn't dared enter the furthest edges of the galaxy, either. It had been rather wise of him.