Is This the Good Life

I made my way to the main center room. The room where all new children would be introduced to everyone in the orphanage. I smiled as I opened the door, reveling a few new kids all different ages. I instantly started to talk quickly, bouncing around to each different child.

The first person was Rayla, a six year old African American girl with light brown eyes, black hair in braids with  red and white beads. She had a spunky attitude, but she was kind enough to make friends. She quickly became popular among the others. 

Next was Tyler, a five year old white boy with hazel eyes with brown hair. He was shy, quietly making new friends. He has a stutter problem that he simply couldn't help, which made him more adorable.

"H-hi, I-I-m I'm T-tyler." He greeted me shyly.

"Hi, I'm Sage." I greeted back shaking his hand.

"Welcome to our world of Neverland!" I said using the nickname of the orphanage. 

"N-neverland?" He questioned.

"Yeah, we all love the movie peter pan. We consider ourselves to be the lost children of Neverland; then when we become chosen we are the found children." I explained to him. 

"Co-ol!" Tyler said excitedly. 

The other kids came rushing up wanting to meet him next. I left to explore the last three new comers. 

There were identical twin baby boys napping together in a crib. Nathan was wearing light green and Nicholas was wearing light blue, both had brown hair. Nanny asked us to not hover around the crib anymore because they finally fell asleep.

Lastly, in the back corner of the room was a two year old boy sitting down hugging his knees. He had a light grey hoodie on with the hood over his head. I heard him silently crying and sniffling softly. I approached him slowly, then crouched down on my knees in front of him.

"Hi, I'm Sage." Nicely introducing myself.

"Skylar." He whispered out, whipping his face with his sleeve.

"Wanna talk about it?" I asked worriedly.

He lifted up his head from his knees slowly. My ocean blue eyes meet his striking icy blue eyes behind his shaggy light blonde bangs. His eyes were puffy with tear streaks, they held an unfathomable sorrow.

A jolt of pain coursed through my heart remembering the same exact sorrow. My arms embraced him naturally, understanding without spoken words.

I began remembering my first day at the orphanage.

"Sage, come here sweetie."  The thin, older lady with long wavy brown-greyish  hair spoke with kindness. She is known as Nanny. 

"Everyone has been waiting to meet you." She continued to speak while holding my tiny hand. 

The doors opened into a large room revealing welcome balloons and several children and staff members. My eyes roamed around the room looking for my parents. As I began to realize they weren't there, it was too late. Tears were pouring out of my eyes and I fell to the ground crying for my mommy and daddy. Everyone was in utter shock. 

A tear rolled down my face once the flashback ended. I looked down at Skylar still hugging me with his tiny arms. He gave me a squeeze, mumbling, "I miss Daddy." 

"Everything will be okay soon." I softly whispered to him.

I stood up then helped him stand up. I held his hand and walked to where the kids were eating cake and ice cream. I wanted to make sure he got something to eat before it was all devoured.