-Guatemala City- Day 1

- 27th November 2019 -

My first impressions, very rustic, reminds me of India in some ways, characteristics of a third world country include dilapidated pavements and breeze-block buildings, moderately dirty streets, high police presence on streets and guns galore. Saying all this I am without doubt warming to the place. This is the first thing I saw upon waking this morning.

Miguel Hernández who I will speak about soon came to Happy Dreams Hotel (where I stayed last night - his recommendation) and walked me some way towards his area south of the Aurora Airport towards Petapa

Miguel Hernández who I will speak about soon came to Happy Dreams Hotel (where I stayed last night - his recommendation) and walked me some way towards his area south of the Aurora Airport towards Petapa. Miguel is a good guy it it seems. Humble and conscious of the third-worldly-ness of his country, he speaks volumes of his beloved Guate's beauty, the love unity and soul he says resonates in its people. So far I agree, the folk here are gentle, stare less and smile more. Another quality It is hard not to notice is the landscape and the naturaleza (nature). Geological Guatemala City possesses sloping landscapes, intimidating mountains and volcanoes (active by the way) all in eye sight.

Moving on. ( it is easy to get lost in Mother Nature) After learning that I shouldn't bring my phone out in public and attempting to learn new ways to speak to my Guatemalan friends that I am yet to meet, Miguel and I jumped in a Tuk-tuk and stopped off near his barrio (area).

Immediately I was overjoyed to see the variety of vibrant colours on display, tropical fruits and garish green vegetables - "this is why I am here" I said. It goes without saying that many fruits were purchased in that vicinity.

A papaya, coconut, grapes, two avocados for less than $5 ! The Papaya was 5 Quetzal (50p)

A papaya, coconut, grapes, two avocados for less than $5 ! The Papaya was 5 Quetzal (50p). You wouldn't get a papaya in London for any less than a £5!

I ate breakfast with Miguel in his small apartment where his sister, baby cousin and son were all coexisting harmoniously. Lovely little family.