Chapter 9

Tehran, Iran
Outside Al-Salib's Safe-house
22:45

The Marine chopper took a little longer than expected due to receiving some heavy fire from the insurgents. It had also come to their attention after exiting the safe-house, that Petrov had more men then they had thought aiding Al-Salib's coup.
At the moment Bravo team was positioned behind a low stone wall taking fire from Russian and Insurgent fighters.
"Bravo team. This is Hound-19. Enroute, will lay down cover fire for you extraction. Over."
Pierce ducked down so he could answer the chopper pilot. "Roger, Hound-19. Glad to hear from you lads. We got enemy contact to the southeast, over."
"Copy, Bravo Lead. Circling around behind your position. ETA-five minutes...hang in there. Hound-19, out."
Pierce keyed his Comm, yelling over the noice of the machine-gun fire. "Ok... chopper is in bound in five! We're gonna drop back to the east. There is a nice LZ for our pick up, let's go!"
As the team reacted to the Captain's orders, an Insurgent appeared on the balcony of the apartment building straight across from them. The enemy fighter raised something to his shoulder. MacDaniels didn't have to guess what it was.
"RPG!! Get down!! MacDaniels flew up, laying down fire from his M4. His salvo nit the man on his right side, but not before he'd already fired the rocket powered grenade.
Everything was thrown into slow motion as MacDaniels watched the rocket streak straight toward himself and Captain Pierce. Shoving the Captain to the ground, he threw himself on top of him. The grenade streaked passed their position, finally stricking the side of the house behind them. Exploding is a ball of fire and shrapnel. Pieces imbedding into the back of MacDaniels thigh, causing him to scream in pain.
"Son of a bitch!" Pierced coughed in the settling dust and black smoke. "Is everybody okay!?" He yelled, as MacDaniels rolled off of him and onto the ground clutching his leg. "MacDaniels, how bad is it?"
"I'll be ok, sir. Took some shrapnel in the back of my leg it feels like. Bleeding pretty good." MacDaniels answered.
Captain Pierce nodded, then looked at Baker. "Baker... he's gonna need help to the chopper. Thompson, Langston." The pair turned and looked at him. "We will nees some cover fire."
The two Sergeants nodded, and then moved up to the low wall. Baker stooped down and threw MacDaniels arm over his shoulders and pulled him to his feet. From behind, as they started making their way toward the LZ, Thompson and Langston started laying down heavy fire on the enemy.
Progress was slow but steady. Baker tripped twice on unseen obstacles in the dark. When the pair stumbled past the last set of houses, the Marine chopper was lowering into the small dirt clearing, the door-gunner covering their backs. The air all around them filled with dust and sand blowing from the wash of the rotor blades.
"Hound-19. This is Bravo Lead. Moving to your position now!" Pierce called to the pilot from MacDaniels and Bakers' left side. When they reached the helicopter, Pierce helped Baker get MacDaniels inside the bay, setting him against the bulkhead.
"Medic!.. see to his leg!" Pierce said to the Marine medical Sergeant, who was already ready cutting away MacDaniel's pant leg to get to the wound.
As the Medic worked, Lieutenant Edwards, Langston and Thompson jumped into the chopper. MacDaniels eyes began to grow heavy, and he laid his head back on the bulkhead, sighing deeply. The chopper lifted off the ground and swung away from the Capital city, leaving the machine gun fire and explosion behind them.
This mission was in the bag. And a successful one at that. Rescued their informant, then cleaned up the US's botched takedown of Al-Salib. MacDaniels felt like he could sleep for a week. But instead of sleep, his thoughts strayed to Elizabeth. His eyes automatically moved to Captain Pierce, who was watching him. The Captain nodded and smiled at him. He knew the look Pierce gave him was a grateful one, and he knew that the Captain would have done the same for him or anyone else in the team.

******

Hereford (Credenhill) UK
22nd SAS HQ
06:00

MacDaniels felt like he had been hit by a frieght train. He stood in the shower letting the hot water hit his body, while he leaned up against the shower wall. This was a place where he could think deeply about everything that has happened since he has become a member of the SAS. It was crazy to think that that was just two days ago.
Exiting the shower, he moved to the mirror over the sink. His eyes looked tired and felt heavy. He hadn't had a good night sleep in over two days, and has flown to western Russia, Iran, and in only two days time.
He knew had to maintain his strength and stamina, because he knew this whole thing wasn't over. From what they discovered upon taking down Al-Salib, they had this Petrov guy to deal with now.
MacDaniels mind strayed to Elizabeth. He could feel her eyes on him still, and smell her when he closed his eyes. His heart rate esculated everytime he thought about her.
He felt sad, he was sure due to the fraternization rules in the Regiment, they could never be together, especially her father being his team Captain. He had sacrificed himself to save Pierce. That could help his cause. Maybe.
Snapping out of his reverie, MacDaniels changed into a pair of sweats and a 16th Air Assault t-shirt. Then his head snapped around when there was a knock at his door. A puzzled look came on his face as he made his way to the door. Who could that be at six in the morning? He'd been given specific orders by the Captain and the Lieutenant to rest in his room.
MacDaniels opened the door, and standing there with two steaming hot drinks was Elizabeth, a look of concern on her face.
"John... I heard you were wounded." She said, looking up at him with her big beautiful brown eyes.
MacDaniels looked around outside his room, then smiled down at her, motioning for her to come in. "Liz... I was going to call you, but I thought it might be too late.
She shook her head. "It is never to late, or early for that matter for you to call me Sergeant." She said, lightly touching his cheek as she walk by him into the room. Setting the drinks down on the dresser, she turned back around and faced him, concern still etched on her face. "How's the leg?"
MacDaniels smiled at her. "I'm fine Liz. Just a big scratch really." He told her, trying to wave it off. "Who told you anyway?"
"Edwards." She told him. "And he told me the Medics had to stitch it up. So it isn't just a scratch." She said, moving directly in front of him, looking up into his face.
"I'm fine, Liz. It will probably sting a bit more tomorrow, but I've had worse." He told her.
She nodded, and moved even closer. "You are going to have to be more careful Sergeant." She whispered.
Without realizing what he was doing, he reached out and pulled her to him, still looking down into her eyes. Her body trembled slightly, and she went limp. He kissed her deeply, and she wrapped her arms around his neck and kissed him back passionately.
Another knock on the door startled them, and they pulled away, she swayed slightly on the spot. After steadying her, MacDaniels moved over and opened the door.
"How's the leg Sergeant-" It was Lieutenant Edwards, and he stopped mid-sentence. A huge grin spread scross his face when he saw Elizabeth standing there. "What are you doing here?" He asked her, still grinning.
"Sir, it's not what you think..." MacDaniels said, looking slightly nervous.
"Oh yeah... then why does it look like you two are having breakfast together? Hmm?"
"Simon!" Elizabeth exclaimed. "I am an adult, thank you very much." She told him, her face turning slightly red.
Edwards just chuckled. "I'm just messin, lass! You kids have a good time. Sergeant don't forget you have orders to rest that leg." And he turned to leave.
"Simon... please keep this to yourself. I will be the one to tell my dad. When I'm ready." She said, watching the Lieutenant grin at the two of them. He nodded, then pulled the door shut and was gone.
MacDaniels turned back to her after he heard Edwards footsteps fade away outside his room. "Your father isn't going to try and kill me, is he?" He asked smiling slightly.
"No... Simon just likes to mess. Anyways, he already told my dad how we reacted to each other when we first met. I'm sure he has an idea. Why? Has he said anything to you?"
MacDaniels shook his head. "No, but I saved his life last night."
Elizabeth's eyes widened, and she stepped in front of him again. "Where did you come from John? I have never meet a man quite like you before."
He pulled her close, and kissed her again.