The Invitation

It was Friday, November 29th. Lucifer was waiting for Chloe in her kitchen to go to work.
"Detective, we really have to go now, we will be late!"
"Good morning, Lucifer!"
"Hello, child. Can you...please...set me free? Thank you. Where is your mother?"
"She's in the bathroom. Do you like our christmas decoration? I made it in school."
"I see."
"Sorry, Lucifer," Chloe said exhausted while she hurried down the stairs. Her hair still was wet and she tried to tie it into a ponytail. "I have overslept. Monkey, are you ready?"
"Yes."
"Ready for what?" her partner asked suspiciously.
"We have to bring her to school."
"Is this really necessary? I mean, Maze could do it, couldn't she?"
"Maze's already gone."
"What about the bus?"
"We're too late. Let's go."

The whole time, the child sang christmas carols and caused the devil a headache and her mother didn't do anything but smiling. The short version: the car ride was torture, at least for Lucifer.
"How do you celebrate christmas?" suddenly Trixie asked curious.
"Why do you think I celebrate it?"
"You are the devil, aren't you?"
"Exactly."
"But that means Jesus is your brother and christmas is his birthday."
"That's not quite right, Offspring. He is my half-brother. And I do not care about him."
"So, you don't celebrate christmas?"
"No, I do not celebrate it," Lucifer answered annoyed. "I was never invited to important parties and I am totally fine with that."
Trixie gave that a thought. Finally, she asked, "Mom, can Lucifer celebrate with us?"
"What?" the devil and the detective asked in unison.
"Nobody should be alone at christmas."
"I am good at being alone, Offspring," Lucifer complained.
"But..."
"Monkey, if Lucifer doesn't want to join us, you have to accept it."
For a moment, they drove in silence. The girl pouted and the civil consultant thought about the invitation. It was the perfect way to annoy his father.
"You won," he consented.
"What?" his partner asked horrified and the girl in the backseat cheered. When they arrived the school, Chloe was completely sweaty. She doubted this was a good idea.