XII: Interlude

Interlude

As the sun filled room with its peach color and radiant light, Rose turned to see Bradley's angelic face, his almond eyes fully closed. He looked alluring and breathtaking all at once, his skin influenced by silk and painted with freckles. His caramel hair stuck to the dove pillows, and she watched as he turned his head and dreamt about whatever made him happy and feel solitude.

He looked peaceful.

She watched him for a while longer, eyes dancing to the tune of birds outside in the autumn morning. There was a time when she couldn't even remember what it was like to wake up next to him. She didn't speak, of course; she knew what a sin it would be to pierce such artistry, what an effort to decency it would be to utter a word and let it rip through his shroud of contentment.

Rose tried not to reminisce about what happened during the blurry dusk till dawn. Though, she still eagerly wanted to know what occurred as soon as he woke up. Maybe she entered too much drink into her body due to the feeling of sadness and numbness after remembering back on how easily she was taken advantage of, or maybe she let the reckless parts of her soul influence her actions.

Is this what people do when they are put in bad situations? Do they purposely fall in love with other people so quickly just to heal their own brokenness?

It was a word used so freely.

Love.

Bradley's eyes fluttered open as the sun got brighter and the sound of birds chirping in the morning air got louder. Fresh wind blew through the open windows of Rose's room, and his warm, honey soul made her pleased to have a person like him in her life. He moved a little closer to her with a smile. Eventually, she gave in and moved a gentle hand through his sleep-knotted hair. She pressed her lips to his before untangling herself from the mess of satin sheets, humming a sweet tune one morning in the wake of lovely October. She tripped over multiple things scattered across the bedroom floor, most being the clothes thrown off in haste the night before. It was extremely quiet as Bradley watched her with concerned yet loving eyes making her way to the bathroom. They both didn't like the kind of quiet that enveloped the atmosphere.

Once Rose reached the bathroom and closed the door after sending a reassuring glance at Bradley, she looked at her reflection in the mirror. What she saw disgusted her; she looked in love, and part of her hated it. She didn't want to allow herself to feel that way because she knew she didn't deserve it.

Her thoughts were abruptly interrupted as the bathroom door slowly opened, revealing an even more concerned-looking Bradley.

"What is this?" His voice was odd, too calm.

Rose peered at him with confusion and fear. In the dim light, she could see that in his hand was a small bottle.

A bottle of sleeping pills.

She quickly snatched them from him, placing them on the bathroom counter behind a bottle of perfume.

"It's nothing. It's none of your business."

"Are you sedating yourself?" Bradley demanded, trying to reach for the bottle. She blocked him from coming closer, placing her hand on the doorframe.