Prelude

Prelude
-Chloe POV-

"And then what happened Ms. Miller?" the lawyer asked me.

He was a very tall man with gray hair and an expensive suit. I didn't have to see the receipt- it screamed expensive.

The entire court room seemed to be holding its breath. Even the judge, a middle aged woman with jet black hair, sat on the edge of her seat.

I looked down at my hands, blinking around my sudden tears.

"He killed him." I whispered, just barely audible.

I was trying to avoid two things at this time. My very vivid memories of that night being one. And the penetrating eyes of my ex boyfriend being the other.

Both were extremely difficult to avoid because I was being thoroughly questioned about my memories, and because my ex was sitting front and center, right behind the defendant.

We had never officially broken up but I'm pretty sure it went without saying, seeing as I was testifying against his father.

"I don't believe we all heard you Ms. Miller." The lawyer prompted.

I took a deep breath and looked up.

The entire time I had been telling myself not to look to the center right of the court room but my eyes slid there automatically now.

And I was met with the source of all my nightmares; Henry Silverwood. And sitting right behind him was his son, Adam.

Bile rose in my throat as all of my memories came crashing down around me like a giant tidal wave.

I was vaguely aware of my finger nails digging into my palms, puncturing the skin, but I couldn't look away. The court room seemed to disappear, fading, until all I could focus on was the cold, cruel eyes, of Mr. Silverwood.

"Ms. Miller?" the lawyer prompted again but I could hardly hear him. He too had faded into the background.

"Ms. Miller!"

"He killed him!" I exclaimed.

I finally tore my eyes away, looking at the lawyer who was saying something to the judge but I couldn't hear him over the buzzing in my ears.

The room started spinning and then the world went black.

All Rights Reserved.