You Forgot|| part 2

How?! How could he be so wrapped up in wanting to make sure everything went perfect and yet, he still managed to fuck things up. The past month at work was intense, yes. but it wasn't anything he couldn't handle. And he knew things at home had been awkward but that was only because he didn't want to blurt anything out, not until it was the perfect moment, and in hindsight what a stupid move that was. He had no idea just how bad it was. All he wanted was to make sure Betty had an amazing birthday. Now all he could think of is that she left their home thinking he had been cheating on her when in reality he's holding a box with a diamond ring inside, wanting to spend the rest of his life with her. He's been working late because he had been planning on taking her on a trip and he was working extra hours in order to get those days off. The "late" messages were from Toni, who was helping him out with the details.

He speeds down those stairs because this can't be the end. There's no way he's going to allow her birthday to end like this. She deserves the world and if she would let him. He would fight every day to give it to her.

Elevators doors open and she's surprised to see him as she was walking out. He makes sure to block her from the doors, she needs to know the truth. Her eyes are puffy and her face is red. It's an image her never wanted to create.

"Gimme a sec" He wasn't a jogger so there's no surprise when he's struggling to breathe.

She looks towards the ground. Ready to walk by him.

"Betty, listen. I am so sorry. I swear there's a really good explanation."

He was still struggling but anxious to give her his reasons for being a complete dick.

"Betty!"

Of course, Veronica grew impatient, especially since Betty didn't respond to her texts. All 10 unread ones.

Jughead couldn't help but feel annoyed at her interruption. She was a good friend but right now she had horrible timing. "Everyone's good Veronica."

"Thanks for the report Jughead but Betty's bloodshot eyes are saying something different."

He looked back at Betty. She at this point had no reason to hear him out and she could easily leave but something about his eyes made her feel like she would be more heartbroken if she left without hearing him out.

"I'm good V. Can you give us a minute?"

This was good, he thought. She was willing to hear him,

"I'll be right outside." Never tearing her gaze from Jughead. She says it more as a warning to him. Anything happens and she'll see it.

He was about to speak but Betty beat him to it.

"I know you're not big on birthdays Jug but you've always remembered mine."

He struggled to find the words to make her stay. When he was little he would spend hours on thinking what he would've said to his mother. Now to be in the presence of someone that brought him back to that mindset, it terrified him, thinking that his words wouldn't be enough.

"I know. Shit, Betty, I am so sorry, please don't leave. I swear, there's no one else."

He slowly made his way towards, afraid that she would move away but she didn't. He was close to seeing the wet trails she had on both cheeks. He brushed a tear that was running down her cheek. She was holding back more tears.

His eyes pleading for forgiveness. "You know me. I could never."

Tearing up again, Betty hated that the past few weeks had been torturing her. "What am suppose to think Jug? When you push my hand away when I reach out to touch you?"