Hand Holding

thank you for 25k <3 sorry this chapter is a little messy, i will probably go back to edit it i was just excited to post hehe. i hope you all enjoy it anyways!

•••

Zak

"One time, when Darryl and I first met, he used a Creeper to attract a mob of zombies," Zak says, respond to Dave's question about leading zombies to his house.

"I doubt we can find any Creepers quickly. The one you stepped on was old enough, anything else out here is probably too dangerous to be near," Vincent replies. "I say we use someone as bait. I have some experience with that."

"No! They could get hurt. I'm sure there are safer ways than human bait," Clay argues. "Let's—"

Dave cuts him off. "—I can be the human bait, remember? I'm immune to the infection."

"That doesn't mean zombies can't rip you to shreds," Darryl replies.

Great, we're back to square one. I wish I knew what to do. Vincent's ex-army is hunting him, just like they hunted Darryl and I, but we just ran. The only thing we had to fight for was each other. With this whole group, and my home, a lot more is at stake.

"Look. You guys cover me, and I'll lead the zombies here. If we leave now, the Skeletons won't know where to look for us," Dave continues, ignoring Darryl's comment. "It's not a far walk to the city. We can get back before nightfall, leaving the Skeletons plenty of time to think that they can rest here."

The Skeletons army? Resting in my house? That doesn't sound like a good combination. Dave seems set on the idea of him being bait, though. It's nice of him to do that for Vincent. I wonder what Darryl thinks of it all.

Zak glances over to Darryl, who was standing off to the side with his arms crossed.

He's been in a weird mood all morning. Ever since... I kissed him again, I think. Did I do something wrong? No, he asked me to. Unless that was a joke. It didn't sound like a joke when he said it... I'm overthinking it, maybe he's just worried about the Skeletons. Darryl's never been mad at me before, why would he be now?

"I don't like it, Dave. What if you get hurt?" Clay asks, his internal doctor instincts showing through.

"You're a great doctor, Clay. I'm sure you'll patch me up just fine."

"If we're gonna go, we need to go now," Vincent says, stuffing some water bottles into a backpack and throwing it over his shoulder. "I've marched with them before, and they move fast. If Dave said they were close, then they're probably almost here."

In a hurry, everyone gathers anything they want to bring with them to the city and dash out the door, Zak attaching an old leash from a closet to Rocco's collar, bringing the dog along with him. He didn't need a leash, but Zak insisted, just in case anything were to happen.

Rocco didn't appreciate being pulled, but eventually gave in, nostalgia filling Zak's body with memories of the past, when he would take his dog for long walks. Rocco was a lot bigger now than he was the last time Zak saw him, and although his collar was not as large on him as it used to be, it still fit comfortably. Zak couldn't help but grin and look towards Darryl to see if he was smiling at Rocco like he was.

Darryl wasn't smiling. He walked in silence, his arms swinging slightly as he stepped. In his bag, he carried a few cans of food and some extra bandages that couldn't fit in Clay's case, but nothing more. He had insisted that anything extra would be retrievable after the Skeletons were gone, but Zak wasn't so sure. Why wouldn't a huge gang rob an fully stocked house?

"Darryl?" Zak lags behind a little to allow his friend to catch up to him.

"Hm?" Darryl responds, snapping out of his thoughts.

"Are you okay? You've been off all day."

"I'm fine, Zak."

"Okay, if you say so," Zak answers, holding his hand out. "My hand is cold. Would you hold it?" He smirks, looking Darryl in the eye.

Darryl hesitates, before crossing his arms. "Not right now, Zak."

Ouch.

Zak pouts to himself and picks up his pace, catching up with Dave, who was walking some length behind Clay and Vincent. He figures Darryl just needs some time to be alone; it would be wrong of him to ignore that.

"Trouble in paradise?" Dave asks, elbowing Zak.

"What are you talking about?"

It's nice that he's willing to speak to me now, without wanting to kill me, or believing that I want to kill him. Jump to conclusions much?

"Oh, come on. You guys were so into each other earlier today, and now he won't even look at you. What did you do?"

"I didn't do anything! I don't think..? When we went out to look for firewood, he asked to kiss me again, so I agreed, and kissed him. I did what he wanted, but afterwards, he got super moody. Now he doesn't want to hold my hand— I know it sounds childish, and maybe it is, but he's never turned me down before. Ever."

"You kissed twice? Wow, moving fast, are we?"

Zak laughs sarcastically. "Whatever. I guess I just don't know what to do. I don't want him to be mad at me anymore, especially before we throw ourselves into a mob of zombies."

"If he's upset, just find a way to make him feel better. Don't necessarily apologize, because it might not have been anything you did, but, I don't know, I'm probably wrong. I suck at relationship advice." Dave shrugs.

"Oh, no no no. This is not relationship advice. Darryl's my friend; I just want to make amends."

"I don't know about you, but I don't normally kiss my friends."

Zak's face heats up. "Me neither, but—"

"—You like how it feels to be close to someone?"

"Yeah, exactly."

"So, what if Clay up there asked you to make out behind a tree over there? Would you?" Dave points off into the distance.

"Well, no, but—"

"Vincent?"

"No—"

"And I know I'm not going to ask you, but I'm guessing you would say no to me, too. Why is it different with Darryl?"

"I don't know, it just feels right. Does it matter?"

"Does it matter?! Yes!" Dave rubs his temples. "You're giving me a headache. Look— You want to cuddle up with Darryl. You don't want to kiss anyone, you want to kiss him. I don't know how you don't see it, but everybody else does. Seriously."

Zak shakes his head. "Darryl only wants to kiss just like I do. He's straight, so even if I was catching feelings, which I'm not, it wouldn't make a difference."

Now I'm the one jumping to conclusions. Is he straight? Probably. He's never kissed anyone before me, so most likely. Did he enjoy kissing me? Yes. Am I confused out of my mind? Definitely. But Dave doesn't need to know that.

"Dude, when was the last time you've seen a girl? Whatever, it doesn't matter. Until you accept your own thoughts and desires, nothing is gonna happen. That's all there is to it. I'm gonna go walk with Clay and Vince for a bit. We'll talk more later." Dave pats Zak's shoulder, before lightly jogging to catch up with the duo ahead.

Zak was filled to the brim with his mixed emotions, but fear took over as the city came into view. Thoughts of zombies attacking him and his friends were overwhelming, and he almost gave into the urge to turn back, but it was the realization of Darryl being behind him that drove Zak to keep pushing forwards.

I can make it up to him by being strong. That's what impresses Darryl.