Living Like a Leader

Zak

Blood and rotten brain matter coated the bottom of Zak's shoe as he kicked the zombie corpse off to the side. He had been on his way back home, in an attempt to catch up with Dave, Vincent, and Darryl. Although he felt bad for lying to Clay, Zak couldn't sit back and do nothing while his friends were putting themselves in danger.

Clay knew that when I left. Besides, he knows where to find me if he really needs help. Rocco is there to keep him company, so I'm pretty much useless anyways.

Since he stayed a considerable distance away from the back of the zombie mob, Zak only had to deal with a few strays that turned and went after him. He felt like an expert at killing zombies now, even though he knew if more than one attacked at once him he would be screwed.

"Darryl?" Zak heard sobbing so he got down on his hands and knees to peer into the burrow he had been standing in front of. He could see the reflection of light in Darryl's eyes. "Are you alright? Come out of there."

Darryl seemed to shrink back further into the burrow. "Is that you, Zak?"

"Of course it's me. Come out, there's no more zombies here."

"I couldn't fight all of them off," Darryl's voice sounded shaky, and Zak almost missed what he said because it was so quiet.

"What happened? Where are the others?"

Darryl is quiet.

"Darryl?"

"I'm coming out." He finally responds, crawling out of the burrow. His hair was matted with dirt, and his leg was covered in blood. Trembling, Darryl threw his arms around Zak, his tears soaking into Zak's sweatshirt.

"Hey... It's okay, you're okay now." Zak places a hand on Darryl's back, frowning to himself.

How could Darryl fall behind Dave and Vincent so much that he was almost overrun by the mob? I want to know what happened, but he doesn't look like he's ready to talk about it. I'm just glad I got here in time. Oh, Darryl. I'm here for you now.

"Zak?" Darryl pulls himself off of the boy.

"Hm?"

"I'm sorry I was so upset with you earlier." He begins to stutter a little. "I don't know what got into me, when you said you would be willing to kiss anyone... I just felt used, I guess. No, never-mind. That sounds stupid."

"What? No, Darryl, that doesn't sound stupid at all. If anything, I'm stupid for saying it. I was just caught up in the moment. When I was talking to Dave earlier, he... Well, he made me realize something. I don't want to kiss just anyone. I like kissing you, Darryl. I'm so sorry I made you feel like you were just another fling; I probably sound dumb for saying this, but I don't want you to be."

"You're not just saying this because I almost died?"

"No! I'm saying it because it's true. Look— if you don't feel the same way and you just want to keep this friends with benefits thing up that's totally fine, I just—"

Darryl interrupts Zak and pulls him into a passionate kiss, placing his hands on Zak's hips. Zak can feel a small grin forming on Darryl's lips, so he kisses him harder. It felt like the time they were under the blankets, but more fiery, like both parties wanted nothing more than to be on each other's lips. They moved against each other in a slow rhythm; Zak held his breath, not wanting to end it.

This is what I want.

Zak flinches as Darryl pulls away from him quickly, clawing at his ankle. He groaned in pain, shifting his weight to the other leg.