Twenty-Seven

When they got back to Mystic Falls, Klaus mentioned a certain doppelganger was alive and human.

Talia was surprised to hear about that. She was glad, to a certain degree, that the girl lived, but if she became a vampire, like she was supposed to, then it would be fine. The fact that people saved her life to keep her human when she would have lived no matter what while they let Jenna die... She couldn't help but think it was unfair.

And she also hated how much of a hypocrite she felt like. She was infatuated with the man who killed Jenna. She was upset and distraught over her death, but she still decided to stand beside Klaus, hold his hand, kiss him...

It was very conflicting.

Klaus told her he had to go to the high school to get Elena and her gaggle of friends in one spot to see if Elena was the reason his hybrids failed, promising Caroline would not be harmed. 

She knew he wanted his hybrids to act as companions of sorts, but since Talia stood beside him, vulnerable and all, he wanted them to protect her and his family against Mikael, the man who could be found and risen at any point.

He made sure Talia stayed behind since he knew about her past with June on senior prank night, not wishing to bring up any dark memories of hers if he could help it. She was fine with it.

She laid on her couch in her small apartment, watching the time go by in boredom. At some point, she drank the last of the wine she had in the apartment, but that was really the only thing she did.

She wished she had company. Any company at all would suffice. Even Katherine. Alas, no one was available. They were all busy in the high school gym.

She decided to draw herself a bath. Although her apartment wasn't anything to fawn over, she made sure there was a bathtub she could use. Filling it up with almost scalding hot water and bubbles, she disrobed and stepped in. Before she knew it, her eyes closed.

She stepped back in "dreamland" she liked to call it, now fully clothed and dolled up. She felt her head and wondered why there were so many bobby pins.

"I figured you'd want to be presentable," said an echoey, haunting voice, one Talia could recognize now from her dreams. "You're still alive. I figured you would've offed yourself after spending enough time with the bastard."

"And let you win?" she responded. "What's the fun in that?"

He smirked. "I was hoping you'd do it before I had to kill you myself. I don't particularly like ending innocent human lives, but you, my dear, are far from innocent."

"From what I've heard, your rotting in the middle of nowhere, Mikael," she spat. "What harm can you do to me? You're no Freddy Krueger."

"Freddy Krueger?"

"Pop culture reference, asshole." She crossed her arms. "Any reason why you're here now?"

"So hostile." He dropped the smirk. "I can do quite a lot here. You do know I am powerful."

"Powerful? I mean, you were taken down by your family. You're desiccating in a remote location."

"My powers are limited, yes, but I can still appear to you. Make you...do things."

Her eyes widened. "What things?"

"Just wait a little longer, why don't you?"

Her throat felt tight, almost like she couldn't breathe. Her heart began to race.

"What things, you asked? Perhaps...come to you in a dream. Knock you out long enough to...drown. What a terrible accident."

Her lungs burned as she closed her eyes willing to escape her dreams. She couldn't.