Forty-Three

Talia spent the night at the mansion after packing her bags. Even though she knew she still had business in Mystic Falls, after everything, she wanted to go on a vacation with Klaus even if Rebekah was to tag along. She thought they deserved a break.

Talia was in the foyer helping Klaus pack up some of the art supplies he left strewn about including the painting he had been working on the previous day. She felt bad knowing he wasn't packing everything because she wanted to stay for Caroline, so she gingerly placed a painting in a box and asked the question.

"Did you want to leave this town forever?" Talia asked. 

"That was sort of the plan," Klaus admitted. "But I have time to wait."

"I don't want to stop you," she said. "I don't want to make you stay for me."

"I don't have to do anything I don't want to," he said. "I want to stay for you."

"I want to leave so bad, but I still have family here."

"I know."

She hugged him and rested her head on his shoulder. "Let's go away for a little while. I want to go with you."

"I love you," he said.

"I love you." She kissed him.

"So sweet," Rebekah said dryly, interrupting.

"I don't need you of all people criticizing my relationship," Klaus said. "What with you and your many love affairs."

"Do not taunt a girl for loving someone," she replied. "Should I be taunting you?"

"No sibling arguments while I'm around," Talia said. "I hear they get bloody."

"Well, I'm not here to argue. I come bearing bad news."

"What is it?" Klaus asked, intrigued and concerned.

"Alaric Saltzman just tried to kill me."

He paused. "Alaric Saltzman is supposed to be dead."

"Well, he's not! And he's a vampire thanks to Mother's spell with a white oak stake that can't kill him. He's stronger, Nik. Too strong."

"Where is he now?"

"Stuck at the school without a daylight ring, but as soon as night falls, he'll come after us. We need to leave now."

"What were you doing at school?" Talia asked.

"Caroline and I were the only ones to bother to clean up the dance-"

"Caroline?" she asked. "She was there? Where is she?"

Rebekah didn't answer.

"We need to get her."

"I love you and your sister is not horrible, but he has a white oak stake that can't burn," Rebekah argued. "He won't kill her. She's bait."

"Bait?"

"Nik cares about you, you care about Caroline, Jonas also cares about Caroline, and Jonas is his sire and friend. Alaric wants to draw us out and we can't let that happen. We need to go."

"So just screw Caroline?"

"What choice do we have?"

"Unbelievable," she muttered with an eye roll. "I'll do it myself."

"We need to go," Rebekah urged.

"I'll grab the doppelganger and we'll go," Klaus murmured, putting the top on a box.

"You don't need any more stupid hybrids!" she shouted.

"We need protection," he pushed.

"Then we'll protect each other like we always have! Always and forever, Nik."