Daylight

A/N: Hi everyone! Thank you for reading my story!! I am new to writing for the Colby fanbase but very excited to get started! Enjoy the story and feel free to leave any feedback or love!

I suck in a shaky breath and take a look around at the small, tidied room that has been my home for the past three weeks. The sunlight is creeping in through the shades belonging to the small, singular window and creates long stripes of white on the old carpet. Somehow, the odd 'nursing hoe' type smell has not left, even after all this time. I bend down and pick up the two brown paper bags on the floor and then take it all in, just one last time.  Acknowledging the pain I feel in my heavy heart, I step into the hallway and close the door behind me.

I make my way out to the nurses station and hang my bags off to be checked before my discharge. Lunch has just started so I make my way over to the food window where I am handed a tray of chicken and rice with a chocolate pudding on the side. The nurse standing next to the window writes down what I got and watches me as I sit down and start to eat. It's normal for them to watch us, they have to make sure that we are eating three meals a day. Lucky for me, I get to eat whatever I want to when I'm out of this place. 

Once I'm finished with my mediocre meal, I clean up and return the tray to the window. Everyone is in the common room either watching TV or playing card games. I plop down in a seat and immerse myself into another episode of Friends. It's not long until I hear my name called.

"Jade, your ride is here." The nurse says.

I nod and get up, walking over to get my bags from the nurses station. All I have to do is sign a few papers and I am a free woman. 

Taking a breath, I open the door and step outside into the daylight. It hurts my eyes at first, but they adjust after a second. The taxi is waiting by the curb for me so I walk over and get in. The cab driver turns to me with a smile and asks where I am going.

"To the airport." I say, and flash a quick smile back at him.

Kansas, here I come.

...

Colby looks down at his ticket, lost in a daze and subjected to his thoughts and fears. This felt weird to him, but he did not want to admit it. For so many years he has been living on his own or with friends in Los Angeles, having the time of his life. But right now, he has fallen back into a rut. Going back home to Kansas and seeing all of the people from his past is going to be strange, but deep in his gut there is a feeling that this is something that he has to do. A calling for home, almost.

"Hey, man, you ready to go?" His best friend, Sam, asks, breaking Colby out of his trance.

"Uh, yeah." Colby replies.

He grabs his luggage and heads toward the terminal with his friend, anxious to see how the coming week would play out.