Circles

A/N: here is a picture of Jade for reference!

Colby looks down at Jade, who has passed out in his arms right on top of him. She sleeps soundly, even snoring a bit. He chuckles at that; at all those sleepovers that they had when they were younger, he and the boys would always prank her because of how heavy of a sleeper she was. They would put shaving cream in her hand and tickle her face or draw a penis on her arm. All those years of watching her to make sure she fell asleep before he did, just so he could help with nightmares if they came up. And now she's in his arms after another breakdown, safe and protected.

"Is she okay?" Jade's mom asks in a low voice, stepping into the living room hesitantly.

"Yeah," Colby whispers. "She had a panic attack earlier but she's out now."

"Oh, querido, I'm so sorry about tonight." (Honey)

"Don't be. You obviously care about her and just want what's best."

"Thank you for understanding." She smiles. "Would you like something to eat? I have some massa sovada in the pantry."

"I'm okay, but thank you." Colby smiles back at her.

Jade's mom nods and walks into the kitchen, leaving Colby and Jade alone once again. It's past midnight now and Colby can feel his eyes begin to get heavy. For a moment he thinks about Jade and how unhappy she must feel.

He remembers that night. Jade's mom on the phone sobbing to him, not knowing what to do or how to help her daughter. His heart nearly stopped when she told him what happened. He wanted to punch a wall and scream and do everything he could to help her, but he couldn't.

Colby had tried to go see Jade many times when she was in the hospital, but every time he would get turned down by the nurses and be told that it was not a good day for her. He figured that she didn't want to see him, so he gave up.

For three weeks, Colby barely slept. He was up all night every night thinking about Jade, wondering how she was doing. She was a constant in his mind and he wasn't giving up on her.

"You have to stop letting this affect you so much." Sam told him at one point. "We're all worried about her, Colby, but you're making a mess of yourself right now."

"I need answers, Sam." Colby replied, running a hand through his hair. "I just need to talk to her."

"Well, she's made it clear that she doesn't want to talk to you."

That hit Colby like a brick. His friends were only trying to help him and he knew that, but constantly dragging him out to parties and trying to get him with girls was not helping his situation. All he wanted to do was call Jade and hear her voice. He wanted to look into her eyes and feel his heart beat just a little bit faster. He wants it all, but he can't have any of it.

When Jade's mom asked Colby and the boys to come back to Kansas to see Jade, he was ecstatic. She had told him when Jade was getting out of the hospital and he immediately packed his bags and booked a flight home. And now she's right here with him where she belongs.

...

I wake up in my own bed, wondering how I got there. I could barely remember anything from last night even though I am certain I was not drinking. Reaching over to my nightstand, I grab my phone and look at the notifications on the screen. Sam had texted me earlier this morning, so I opened the message.

We're going to the abandoned jewelry factory tonight to film a video. You in?

I smiled and replied, Hell yeah!

I roll out of bed and get into the shower, quickly washing myself for the day ahead. There is a sense of heaviness in my chest as I look into the mirror after my shower. I graze my hand gently over the ribs that are showing on my skin and sigh. They could barely get me to eat when I was in the hospital and I am having the same struggles now. I just have no motivation to anymore.

My mom tries her best when it comes to meals. She always makes my favorite things, but unfortunately I can never bring myself to eat much of it. She was a wreck when I was in the hospital and I feel guilty for having put her through all that. I want to make amens, but I really don't think there is a way to.

"Jade, honey, Colby is here!" My mom calls from downstairs.

I finish brushing my hair and then tie it up into a messy bun. I walk downstairs and see Colby and my mother in the kitchen talking. Of course, she's putting plates of food in his face and he's loving every second of it.

"Obrigado." He says to my mother, which leaves me in a state of shock. "Did I say that right?" (Thank you)

"Yes, quierdo, you're learning!" She exclaims and pulls him into a tight hug. "You really are part of this family."

"Mãe, você vai abraçá-lo até a morte." I chuckle and shake my head. (Mom, you're going to hug him to death)

"Meu amor, you look gorgeous." Mom smiles at me.

"Thanks, it's nothing special."

"I was thinking of talking a walk by the river, do you want to come with me?" Colby asks with a shy smile.

"As long as you're not weird about it." I huff and walk to the table to grab my jacket.

"Thank you, again, for the pastries Mrs. Iranolis. They were delicious."

"No need to thank me. Here, take some home for your mother." Mom smiles and hands him a tray full of sweets.

I roll my eyes and snag my keys off of the holder. "Okay, we're leaving now! Bye, Mom."

Colby follows me to his car and I jump into the passenger seat. He passes me the aux chord and I scroll through my Spotify to try and pick out a song.

"Thanks for agreeing to come to this." Colby says and flashes me a smile.

"Just because I agreed doesn't mean I like you." I huff and play a song.

He still smiles at me and shakes his head. "You're still the same old Jade I've always known."

A/N: hey y'all, sorry it's been a few days since I've updated. I'm in the middle of finals but I'm going to be done by next week, so that means more frequent updates! Have a good one y'all :)