Darkness

The muffled sound of music fills his ears as Colby stares at himself in the mirror. Tonight is supposed to be one of the best nights of his life, but instead of feeling excited, there is a deep sense of fear and anxiety in his gut. He stares into the eyes of his seventeen year old self dressed in a tuxedo. He reaches up to quickly fix his hair and takes a deep breath before walking back into the chaos.

Junior prom is going well thus far; most people are on the dance floor, jumping around and grinding on each other to the beat. Just looking at the amount of people in that pit gives Colby anxiety, so he avoids it and makes his way over to the table in the back where is friends are.

Sam Golbach and Jake Webber sit at the table, looking bored out of their minds. Colby joins them with a shy smile and stares out at his classmates on the dance floor.

"Think we should leave?" Jake asks, folding his arms and placing his head down on the table.

"Nah, man. Let's stay for like an hour more and then we can bounce." Sam suggests.

"You just wanna stay because of the girl you like."

"I do not!"

"C'mon, man, you've been checking her out all night."

"Guys, where's Jade?" Colby interrupts, taking a look around.

"She went off to dance I think." Sam shrugs. "Speak of the devil."

Jade walks over and plops down into the chair next to Colby with a sigh. Colby cocks an eyebrow at her, noticing how frustrated she looks and wanting to know why. He's always had a strange sort of sympathy for her. They have been friends since middle school and always have had a tight bond, but lately Jade has been distant and seems to be keeping things from Colby.

"I hate prom." Jade huffs and crosses her arms.  

"The feeling is mutual." Sam groans and sits back in his chair.

"Alright, ladies and gentlemen," The principal starts speaking into the microphone near the DJ stand. "I hope you are all having fun, but now it is time to announce the prom king and queen."

"Ugh, just get it over with. We all know it's going to be Kat." Jade mutters.

"The votes are in and your prom king and queen are..... Colby Brock and Jade Iranolis!"

Colby and Jade look at each other in horror and confusion. How could this be? Was this some sick prank someone was pulling on the both of them? How could this happen?

"Come on up guys!"

For Colby, it's like an out of body experience walking up to the front of the room. He's never had this many eyes on him all at once and it's overwhelming to say the least. He and Jade awkwardly stand at the front of the room as the crowns are placed upon their heads.

"Look it's Brock the Gaylord!" A guy shouts from the crowd and the room erupts in laughter.

Colby wants to hide more than anything. He's had a lot of embarrassment in his life, but this is by far the worst that he's suffered.

"How'd you get that crown, Jade?" A girl in the front asks. "Did you fuck your way to the top yet again?"

"Wow, that's almost as funny as your tape in hair extensions, Rachel." Jade snidely remarks and takes his hand. "Come on, time to dance."

Jade pulls Colby to the dance floor as a slow song begins to play. She gently places her hands on his shoulders, and he on her waist. Everyone is still laughing and making remarks at them as they dance. Colby wants to just run out and leave, but he can tell Jade wants to stay and make a stance.

The song comes to a close and Jade smiles at Colby. For a moment, he feels content in his heart, until his legs suddenly feel cold and everyone starts laughing loudly. He looks around to see what the joke is, but realizes that it's him when he looks down and sees his pants around his ankles.

He looks up in horror at Jade and fumbles to pull his pants up.

"Colby?" Jade calls out, but her voice now sounds distant. "Colby?"

The world around him turns black and he can feel his head spinning. For a moment, it feels like he is falling. He can still hear is name being called out in the distance, but the voice has turned into a deeper one.

"Colby!" Sam calls out and shakes his friend, causing Colby to jolt awake. "Whoa, are you okay, man?"

"Yeah, yeah." Colby says and wipes the sleep out of his eyes. "I just had a weird nightmare."

"We're here."

Colby looks out the car window to see his childhood home. His heart sinks a bit as he gets out to take a closer look, and nostalgia hits him. He takes a deep breath and grabs his bag, heading up the walkway and to the front door.

...

(A/N: Play the song now :)

I tap my foot to the beat as I finish writing the lyrics. It's been forever since I've written a song and it feels good to get back into that groove, though it seems I can only write sad things right now. I hum along to the song playing and stand up to stretch.

It has been a few days since I've gotten out of the hospital. I've been resting at home with my family and so far I feel good. My family has been supportive of my decision to get help and to go to a partial hospitalization program during the day. For now I am just going to take time off of school and hopefully return next semester when I am feeling better. 

From all this time living in Los Angeles, I've almost forgotten how cold it is during autumn in Kansas. Walking over to my bed, a grab a blanket and wrap it around myself. 

The house is strangely quiet today. I can faintly hear the sounds of the whipping wind hitting against the frame of the house. My stomach rumbles and I decide to make my way down stairs to get food. Once settling on mac n' cheese, I grab a pot and start to get water ready to boil. In my pocket, I feel my phone buzz which makes me sigh. I take it out of my pocket and see that I have a few messages, one of them being from my mother.

Mrs. Brock from next door is having us over for dinner tonight! Are you coming?

I sigh and reply with a quick, yes.

She texts back quickly and when I read it, my heart drops right into the pit of my stomach.

Oh and by the way, Colby is home for the week too.