Part Ten

"Don't forget to invite your family to the end of the season game, and let us know if they're coming. Mrs. Garcia needs numbers soon to organize food, and I don't want to be on her bad side. Neither do you," Coach assured us. We all nodded, knowing the school secretary was not someone to be messed with. "Alright. Hit the showers."

             The team dispersed, most people too tired after practice to even talk. I hung back, taking my time gathering my water bottle and bag on the side lines. I pulled out my phone from the side pocket of the bag, and saw the abundance of notifications, all unread messages and smiled, knowing who they'd be from.

                Shawna: Hey loser. Wut are u doing?

                Shawna: I'm booooooooored.

                Shawna: Do u want to do something?

                Shawna: I haven't seen u for like 2 weeks and I kind of forget what ur ugly mug looks like.

             At first, I worried that I should be concerned with the amount of times Shawna insulted me, but eventually I figured out that this was just Shawna. And this was her way of showing affection. So I guess, in a roundabout way, it was really a compliment.

Thanks, Shawna.

                Mark: well I guess.

                Mark: only because you miss me so much ;)

                Shawna: Markus are u flirting again?

                Mark: the winky face was unintentional. it was supposed to be a smile

                Shawna: Suuuuuure it was ;)

                Shawna: But u were still flirting ;)

                Mark: ok. whatever helps you sleep at night.

                Mark: and stop winking at me. it's creepy.

                Shawna: ;)

                "Harris."

                I almost dropped my phone, quickly looking up. Coach was standing there, eyebrow raised expectantly. I shoved my phone back into my bag. "Yeah?"

"You're not showering?"

                I glanced at the door to the locker room,  where all my teammates were. Unsupervised. With nobody to get between me and the glares WIll had been shooting me all practice. 

"Uh, no. I'll just shower at home." I scooped up my bag and lugged it over my shoulder.

                Coach looked me over, "Are you having problems?"

                "With showering?" I asked, feeling my face get hot. "No. I mean, I'm fully capable of showering myself, if that's what you're asking..." I trailed off as I saw his expression. "...Which you're obviously not."

                "I meant a different kind of problem."

                "Right. Um, no. No problems," I lied.

                He watched me for another moment before slowly nodding once. "Alright. You have family coming to the game?"