sketchbook

Getting outside was all (Y/N) could think about. She felt as though she was suffocating in that room despite the fact that she got to paint.

Painting has always been a nice hobby. It was one of the only hobbies her father would let her do and she enjoyed it. Playing an instrument would be too loud, knitting was too boring for her, and she only ever cooked with her father.

She sighed as she sat down under a tree outside the camp building. Her father wanted alone time and while (Y/N) has never been a problem or loud child, she understands why her father wants to be alone for a while. He's the quiet type of guy. Well, it's not like she's complaining, she gets to paint for three whole weeks. As for her mother, she was off on another business trip.

(Y/N) hummed cheerily to herself as she took a tiny canvas out of her bag along with a palette of paint and her brushes.

(Y/N) looked around... what to paint... what to paint...

Her mind suddenly wandered to a boy from earlier. He was a few feet next to her staring at her painting. He looked away when she caught him and she then decided to take a look at his canvas. It looked extremely similar to hers only that the colors were different. They looked exactly like the clouds outside, it was pretty. Yeah, it was nice, that's all she could comment on.

But when the session was over she looked at his painting again and he improvised it. Like a surge of creativity welled up in him and he brushed it onto his canvas.

That's when it hit her.

Painting a person perhaps?

(Y/N) has always draw landscapes buildings and clouds. Never a person before though. Actually, she tried doing her father once but it turned out awful.

Yeesh...

Maybe she should just stick with painting the scenery around her.

She sighed and put her head down on her knees; a dark void overtaking her. She was starting to get bored.

"Excuse me," a young voice called out from in front of her.

'Huh?' (Y/N) head snapped up so suddenly that the back of her head slammed against the trunk of the tree.

"Ow..."

"Yeah, sorry for startling you so suddenly." The boy that she thought of before said, an apologetic face was present on his face. Strands of his dark green hair fell on his face before he tucked them out of the way.

"It's fine, I was pretty out of it." (Y/N) said rubbing the back of her head with her hand, "I didn't even hear you coming."

"Right, just what were you thinking about? Or actually, I might have cut off a train of thoughts, sorry."

"Nah, I was just bored and when I get bored my mind just goes blank. That painting session was really suffocating y' know? Everyone was bored."

"Right!?" The boy seemed a little too excited to agree and he seemed to realize his own excitement as he suddenly coughed, "I was having a whole conversation to myself about how these paintings were meaningless."

(Y/N) hummed, "I don't think they're completely meaningless. If you look at your painting and at others, it's still a product of how everyone was feeling there; uninspired. It also shows the progress of their emotions."

The boy raised a brow, curiosity painted on his face. "I guess, but could you elaborate some more?"

"Well, I did notice your painting before you started staring at me." The boy seemed to flush in embarrassment and he opened his mouth but (Y/N) raised a finger before he could explain himself. "It looked exactly like the clouds outside the window, obviously as a product of your boredom but then after staring at me I noticed that you improvised your painting, in turn, that inspired me somewhat."