Coming Clean

-Sunset Shimmer POV-

I ran out to where Rainbow and her friends went knowing I'd need to let her know about what happened just barely. 

They now know about how we're friends. Knowing them, the whole school will know before the week is out. I might as well let her know and come clean to her friends before they tell them for me.

I finally found them next to the edge of the lake and forbidden forest. Without fear, I walked right up to them.

When they saw me, at first Rainbow looked surprised, but then raised her eyebrow. “What do you want Shimmer?” She asked in such a way that I almost forgot what I was there to do. 

I quickly remembered and got serious. “You can drop the act now Rainbow. They found out.”

“Found out what?” she said eyebrows raised.

I merely looked at her emotionless before saying. “Do I really need to answer that?”

Her face almost immediately flashed with understanding then fear. Having been looking in her mind the entire time, I knew that she got it. “They didn't.”

I nodded confirming what she was thinking. She stumbled back a bit, “But, how?”

I was about to answer but Applejack interrupted. “Hold on now! What in tarnation is going on?”

I looked back at Rainbow, “Do you want to tell them or should I?” 

She sighed them put an arm around me. “Me and Sunset have been friends for a couple months now. But we didn't want anyone to know.”

“You didn't want anyone to know.” I corrected as she let go. “I was perfectly fine with telling everyone I was now friends with the mud- sorry. Muggleborn. But you were insistent.”

She looked down. “I didn't want you to need to go through what I need to. But looks like it's too late.”

“Hang on now!” Applejack yelled causing the two of us to look at her, “You're telling us. That you two have been friends in secret!”

Rainbow blushed and I nodded. “When I found out that my X friends knew, I thought I might as well have her tell before you all heard it from someone else.”

“Well, it's great she made a friend in Slytherin!” Twilight said smiling. “Might take a bit of getting used to for us though.”

“As expected.”    I said shrugging. 

“I still don't think this is a good idea.” Rainbow said nervously rubbing her fingers. 

I shook my head. “Rainbow. I know pretty much all the basic magic, especially in defense against the dark arts. I can protect you and myself easily.”

“It isn't attacks that I'm worried about. It's the words they say.”   

“What do you mean?” Applejack asked her.

She breathed. “In the muggle world, we have a saying that goes, ‘sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me.’ It's a lie. A big lie. Bruises and broken bones heal over time. While words stick with you forever. You could try to not listen, but say it enough times and it will still be engraved in your memory. I don't want any of you to need to go through that.”

I looked at her friends but they were just looking at each other. I took a deep breath, "Rainbow, I should know more than anyone what people have been telling you. And as a Lagitamenz, I can say that they are lying. You got this magic for a reason. And until we can find out what that reason is, I can help you control it more and take advantage now that we no longer need to hide."

Rainbow looked down, "Are you sure?"

I nodded, "Positive. What if it turns out that it can actually make things better?" Then for the first time, I didn't resist singing.

"So you have magic
And it's not that great
But when it found you
You know it was fate 

And it might seem scary now
But it can be wonderful to
So how bout you embrace the magic
And make the magic part of you."

For the next week of winter break, me and Sparkle helped all the girls get better at their magic. Me especially with Rainbow. And now that we didn't need to hide, progress was much faster with her and I wasn't able to read her mind without permission anymore. 

"You take a little dash of magic
And you let it ignite 
Mix things up a little bit 
And it might start to go right

In just five seconds flat
How the story has changed 
Because now you've embraced the magic
And it just got better in every way

I say embrace the magic 
No more holding back just let it out
If you can take the magic
And learn a little more what it can do
Once the magic is part of you"

Rainbow was to a level higher than the smartest of the first year Ravenclaws besides Twilight by the end of the week. The others were average according to our year but I still help whenever needed. I do need to make up for what I did after all. 

"What's standing in your way
That you can't move today 
You've got the strength in you 
To make your dreams come true 

No need to shield yourself 
From the magic that can help
Protect from any harm that can come

So you have magic
And it's not that great
But when it found you
You know it was fate

So if you listen close 
You might make a new friend 
And together you can make it

I say embrace the magic 
No more holding back just let it out
If you can take the magic
And learn a little more what it can do
Once the magic is part of you

Once the magic is part of you"

It was now a few days till Christmas. I was very close to Rainbow's friends and completely rejected by the other Slytherins. But being with these other houses is a lot better. Mainly because I don't need to worry that they only keep me around for my powers. 

I'm teaching Rainbow to read minds like me. She's a natural at all forms of magic so I didn't see why she won't be able to do it. She's a little slower at it than other things she's learned, but still showing progress. 

For now, we're just gonna enjoy the holiday together. 

Next Chaper is a Christmas Chapter! I swear that I don't intentionally have the specials come out on the Holiday they're replicating. It just happends with the order of the chapters. Bye!