𝕔𝕙𝕒𝕣𝕝𝕚𝕖

•─────────★•♛•★────────•

AFTER SCHOOL, SUMMER stayed over at my place while the boys had to leave for voice lessons and practice. Summer was doing her homework while I was spread across my bed, tapping my nails on the back of my phone.

"Charlie, can you please stop tapping? I can't think properly." Summer asked gently.

"Sorry. I was just thinking too." I apologised and turned to face her.

"Oh no. You're thinking again." She sighed as she turned to face me as well. "It's not good when you're thinking."

"You're over exaggerating, Summer." I chuckled as she laughed as well.

"Alright, do tell, love. What's on your mind again?" She said as she sat beside me on my bed.

I sighed as memories of this morning flashed through my head. I hate to admit it but ever since last Christmas, everything Max does and says just sticks and I end up overanalysing. Some days, I just end up randomly thinking of Max and every little thing he does.

"Let me rephrase that... who's on your mind?" Summer asked with a small smile.

"You already know it." I replied.

"Max." We said simultaneously then laughed.

"Alright, what's up with Max Mills?" She asked as we both laid down on my bed while holding hands.

"I dunno. It's really petty." I said while I looked at her perfectly cut nails.

Truth be told, it was everything about Max. Like I said, everything I hated about him was also what I loved about him. He's my best friend! How could I not love him? Even when he gets super annoying and I want to rip his head off, I still love him.

"Nothing you say is petty. Now tell." She pushed. Summer was not going to shut up unless I told her what was on my mind.

"It's November again and next thing we know it's going to be December then it's going to be the Winter Formal and it's all going to go downhill from there." I sighed.

I've been fearing the Winter Formal ever since the term started. All cliche movies have that one scene where it's the event everyone's been waiting for then the two main characters just pour their hearts out on each other and it all goes downhill. Call me crazy for watching too much movies, but you can't say that I'm wrong.

"Woah! Slow down, tiger." She chuckled.

"It's true, Summer." I sighed as I turned my back on her and hugged my pillow.

"Okay, hold on now. Just because it's going to be December again does not mean things will go downhill."

"Yes it does. When was the first time you saw me and Max not have an awkward moment that had an obvious underlying cause?" I asked seriously, looking her dead in the eye.

"I... um..." She stuttered as she read my mind.

"That's what I thought." I said and turned my back in her again.

The first time Max and I had an awkward awkward moment was a few weeks after Christmas last year when he said that I looked pretty in my favorite baseball tee, that he's seen me in a hundred times before, when we were out with our friends. I can't forget how their was an awkward silence after he complimented me. I just let out a confused "thanks" to get the awkwardness out of the atmosphere.

"Charlie, what are you so afraid of? It's not like last Christmas is going to happen again. It's called 'last Christmas' for a reason. Things never happen the same way twice." Summer said as she rubbed my arm and looked over my shoulder.

"You wanna know what I'm afraid of, Summer?" I challenged as I faced her. She nodded in response.

"I am afraid that Max is going to mention last Christmas again. I'm afraid that he's going to find a way to tell me how he really feels and I might say something stupid and I'm afraid that I'll lose my best friend just because he fell in love with me!" I rambled.

Summer sighed and laid on her back. It felt like there was a huge weight on my chest, pushing me deeper and deeper into my bed. I wanted to cry and I could feel the tears building up in my eyes, but I held it back and told myself that I was not going to cry about my irrational fears.

"You're not gonna cry, are you?" Summer asked as she looked at me.

"No." I replied while wiping my eyes.

"Of course you're not." She chuckled. "Just don't dwell on the possibilities, Charlie. You're afraid of something that none of us are sure if it will really happen. Plus, it's Max we're talking about here."

She propped herself up with her elbow and looked at me. "If there's one thing I am a hundred percent sure about Max, it's that he values you and your friendship too much to let anything tear you guys apart."