1

1

October 18th, 2020, 8:50 pm

My name is Aminora, but most people call me Nora. And if you knew me, really knew me, really knew me, then you would think I was weird. A monster, even.

I set down my pen, wondering why I decided to write all my darkest secrets down. It was a stupid idea. The notebook could be easily found and then everyone would know what I am.

I go to write more, but I decide against it. I didn't sleep last night again, and I don't want to fall asleep on it and get drool all over it. I open the empty drawer of my nightstand and put the notebook and pen in. I= turn out my lamp and lay in bed. I stare up at my ceiling for a while; my mind is racing with the usual paranoid imaginings of what would happen if someone found out. This time, it includes the notebook. I sigh before turning to face the wall and drifting off to sleep.

I wake to the sound of pitter-patter of rain. I look at the time and see that it's 1:25. I roll over and try to go back to sleep, but I can't; I am wide awake. Instead, I switch on the bedside lamp. I start writing again.

Now, if you saw me, like at the store, you wouldn't think something was off about me. The most you would be startled by would be my frizzy red hair. But in truth, there is much more than meets the eye.

2

Before I tell you much more about me, you need to learn some history about my people. The witches were once protectors of the people who weren't 'fortunate' enough to be born with magic. We, the children that where born with magic, where each given a different power. I call them Witches' elements. These children where made distinguishable by a mark on the inside of their wrist.

It shows each element, moon, sun, flora, fauna, wind, and water, each of them connected, but apart

It shows each element, moon, sun, flora, fauna, wind, and water, each of them connected, but apart. Whenever a child was found with the mark, they were taken before the Board of Witches, in which it was then decided if they should be trained or not. But then, sometime around the middle ages, it, the Board that is, was taken over by the people that didn't trust us. The Board fell and the witches where forced into hiding. Of course, the witches are still around, just not in the same way. We must hide now. From the normal people. From each other.

I sigh as I set down my pen for the second time that night. I lay back and stare up at the ceiling for what could have been hours or minutes. I slip into a stupor that causes time to lose all meaning.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

I don't remember falling asleep, but I do remember waking up. It was to a metallic beeping that pierced into my dreams and shattered them. And that beeping means that it is now 6:30 in the morning and time for me to get ready for another day of torture at a place they call Snowfall Jr High. I turn off the alarm as I groggily sit up. I yawn deeply as I stretch, trying to get my blood pumping again. I get up and head over to my closet to choose my outfit for the day. I grab jeans and a plain emerald green t-shirt. I brush my hair and wrestle it into a side braid. I go over to my jewelry box and grab a simple necklace with a gold chain, and a square rose quartz, which is the birthstone for October, the month I was born in. I clasp it in the back, so it falls just under my collar bone. I check myself in the mirror on my closet door and run upstairs to eat a pop-tart.