𝙘𝙝.17

The food was warm, a simple breakfast. Eddie had ordered hot chocolate and Richie coffee. Eddie was eating some small pie which he was sharing with Richie, despite him saying he didn't like pie. "Have you ever even tried it?" Eddie asked, his brows furrowed. Richie shrugged, "No but—"

"Then shut up and try some." Of course, Richie did as he was told. He grabbed one of the forks Eddie had brought over and reached over to cut a piece of the pie. He felt the lemony taste dance on his tongue and he couldn't decide wether he liked it or not. He looked at Eddie who was looking at him with a teasing smile. "Still don't like pie?"

"Shut up." Richie murmured, digging back into the pastry. Eddie giggled, "Oh! I have something for you." Richie watched with a raised brow as Eddie opened his backpack and took something out. It was in the shape of a rectangle, the box. White all over. It took Richie a while to figure out what it was and his eyes widened when he realized.

"No, Eddie." He shook his head when Eddie handed him the box. "Don't be silly, you need it."

"You got me a phone?" Richie asked with a sigh, almost disappointed. "Yeah, you need it." It seemed to Richie, Eddie wasn't getting it. "No, Eds," He stammered, "You can't just give me a phone." Eddie rolled his eyes. He was still holding onto the box containing the phone. "It's not like i'm paying your phone bill."

But that didnt matter to Richie. "I can't take this."
"That's kinda rude."

The raven sighed in annoyance. Why did Eddie have to be like this? While Richie felt bad, guilty even, Eddie kept his calm smile on his pretty face. It pissed Richie off. "You're so—"

"Yes?" Eddie teased, batting his lashes. The sight made Richie question if he wanted to kiss him or punch him. He settled for both. "Look, I'm kinda doing it for me, too." Richie knitted his brows. "Some nights I get really.. lonely"— a sigh—" And I miss you. Or, miss hearing your voice. And I miss calling you at night. Point is, you help me fall asleep so." He was blushing, Richie saw and he had to smile.

Now, Eddie was the embarrassed one and Richie was the one smirking. He exhaled and gave up. He reached for the box and examined its outside. He lifted the lid carefully and set it aside. He whistled, seeing the black, clean screen of the phone. The phone, an iPhone 8 — it was bigger and better than his last phone, a 7 plus — felt cold in his palm. Because it didn't have a case or a screen protector on it, he felt his heart beating fast. The last thing he needed was for him to drop this new phone.

"Wow." was all he could say. Eddie giggled, "We can go after school to look for a case and a protector, if you want. Don't break it." Richie didn't answer, he still kept his eyes fixated on the device. "I don't know what to say." He whispered, "Clearly." Eddie rolled his eyes, "You don't have to say anything."

"I—" He looked up — "Thank you."
"Don't worry about it. Wanna get going now?" Eddie, who had been finishing up the last of his pie, was now standing up and stuffing his computer and books into his bag. "Already?"

Eddie scoffed, "Well, we have to leave at some point. What else would we do here?" Richie groaned. He knew Eddie was right. "Besides, the place is filling up and you know I don't like.. it. I don't like it, Rich. Can we please go?" He hoisted his bag onto his back and looked at Richie pleadingly.

Richie knew all too well of Eddie's claustrophobia. The place wasn't crowded but it was starting to bug Eddie enough so Richie got up. "Yeah, lets go."

But it wasn't the crowd that made Eddie uneasy. It was that when Richie had been living out his shock, Eddie had stared directly into the eyes of someone he hadn't wanted to see. Ever. He had to get out, fast.

Richie put the phone back into its box and put the box into his backpack. "Ready?" Eddie nodded, hurriedly. For some reason, Richie didn't know why, he put out his hand for Eddie to take. Bewildered, astonished even, Eddie stared down at his palm. He wanted more than anything to hold Richie's hand. To feel that sense of security and safety. But he couldn't.

But he didn't want to be a complete asshole and leave Richie hanging so he took his hand. He smiled. Oh, how he missed that warmness. "Please, let's go." Eddie said in a voice so hushed, Richie wasn't so sure that it was the crowd making him uncomfortable. He didn't ask, he saw Eddie's fear, his discomfort.

He laced their fingers together and led him out the door.