Chapter Two: Something Familiar

The Earth Kingdom

All of them had travelled all the way from the South Pole to the North, seeing so much of the world as they went along. And yet when the foreign strangers emerged from the bushes, this was undoubtedly the biggest culture shock they had ever got.

For starters, their clothes were so different – nothing like they had ever seen. Even they knew that the Fire Nation did not dress like this. Not to mention their appearances.

The older boy with fair skin looked fairly generic, but the girl... she was something else entirely. She had pointy ears, dark marks under her eyes, horns growing out of her head of white hair. They didn't even know whether she was even a girl. Or a human being.

Yes, Yue had white hair and they knew why. But the pointy ears and horns?

The little boy with dark skin stood behind the older one, so Katara immediately assumed that they shared some type of bond. They didn't look like brothers to her though.

But she didn't miss the creature the kid was holding before he ducked behind the older guy. The creature who was still sparking with the remnants of lightning – the tiny creature that singlehandedly caused a mini-lightning storm. She had never seen anything like it.

None of them had. Not even Aang; not 100 years ago and definitely not since getting out of the iceberg months ago. But they were all curious. Regardless of their appearances, they had all seen the older guy airbending.

"Are you okay?" Aang repeated.

The white-haired girl came out of her daze and narrowed her eyes at the four of them, unsheathing a pair of matching hooked blades, not too dissimilar from the one The Blue Spirit i.e. Zuko used on them. The similarity subconsciously put up Aang's guard – maybe they were indeed Fire Nation...

Fire Nation with an airbender? Aang wondered.

"Stay back!" she warned.

"Whoa!" Aang gasped nervously. "We don't want to fight you. We're the good guys. I'm the avatar, see?" He pointed at his arrow.

The girl raised her eyebrow in confusion. "Is that supposed to mean anything to me?"

"You know, the avatar?" Katara chimed in, ignoring the fact that her accent was the weirdest she had ever heard. "Master of all four elements? Going to defeat the Firelord and end the war?"

"The war?" the dark-skinned kid asked shakily, looking up at the airbender boy.

"The war. It's been going on for the past hundred years," Sokka explained slowly, scrutinizing the strangers. "Which you would know about if you'd been around for it. Who are you? Where did you come from?"

"Did you emerge from an iceberg by any chance?" Katara asked gingerly.

"Uh... no." The white-haired girl looked more confused than defensive now. "Who are you?"

"We asked first!" Sokka retorted.

"I'm Katara," she smiled warmly, "and this is Aang, the avatar. And this absolute joy fest over here is my brother Sokka. What's your name?"

"Rayla," the white-haired girl said carefully.

"I'm Callum," the other guy said more warmly, "and this is my little brother Ezran."

"Hi," Ezran whispered, waving politely.

"Great!" Sokka cheered sarcastically. "Now that the pleasantries are out of the way, where are you from, how did you get here and why were you falling out of the sky?!"