BillxBen

"Just be fucking honest about how you feel about people while you're alive." —
John Mayer

     I glared down at the shorter boy, hating how he seemed to love everybody else but me. But I tried to stay calm, tried not to blow up on him. But it was hard.
     I'd had a crush on him for years now, and I hoped with time it would fade, but it never did. So here I was, stuck between and rock and a hard place.
     "Woo hoo, Billy boy," Richie said in a sing-song voice, waving his hand in front of my face.
     "Huh? W-what?" I asked, startled out of my thoughts.
     Richie rolled his eyes. "Are we going to the library after school or no?"
     "W-Who all is g-going?" I asked, and Richie rolled his eyes again.
     "We all are, dumbass," he said icily.
     I wanted to say yes. I wanted to say yes so bad, but I felt like a burden. Like my friends were only being my friends out of pity.
     Slowly, I shook my head. "N-no," I whispered.
     Ben looked at me sadly across the lunch table. "Aw, why not big Bill?" He asked me.
     I bit my lip, and shrugged. "I dunno. Why, do I have to?" The question came out a bit snarkier then I meant it too.
     "No. No I was just wondering," Ben said quickly.
     We both looked down at the lunch table, as our friends continued the conversation without us.

     "Last chance, Billy Boy, you sure you don't wanna come with us?" Richie asked, walking up to my locker at the end of fifth period.
     "T-thanks Richie, b-bit I've got a p-project to w-work on," I said, trying not to show how upset I was really.
     Richie didn't notice. "Ok," he said with a shrug. "Maybe next time then."
     "Yeah," I whispered. "M-maybe next t-time."
     With that, he turned and walked away. I sighed, blinking back tears, before collecting my books and began to walk out of school.
     I kept my eyes glued to the ground, trying in vain to pretend I was invisible.
     "Bill!"
     I snapped my head up, looking around, but when I saw nobody, I quickly dropped it again.
     "Bill! Hey Bill!"
     "Ben?" I asked, seeing him jogging to catch up with me.
     "Richie said you had a project to work on, I wanted to see if I could help?"
     I couldn't help the small smile that spread across my face. "O-oh right. Umm, I k-kinda lied..."
     "What? Why?" He asked me.
     I bit my lip and shook my head. "D-Don't worry about it. G-go catch up with the g-group before you have t-to walk by yourself."
     He shook his head stubbornly. "No. Why did you lie?" He asked again.
     I sighed. "B-because Ben, sometimes I don't f-feel wanted or n-needed, ok? Like the group would be p-perfectly fine with m-me in it." I stopped myself, forcing tears back in my eyes. "J-Just go back with your friends," I whispered, before storming off.