Prologue

(3rd person p.o.v)

For the longest time it had been but a mere blissful dream for (Y/n). She had lived life not knowing the horrors of the adult world; a never faltering smile etched on her face as she had held onto innocence within her grasp, much as a child would a beloved toy. 

  As her aunts Natasha and Adeleine took care of her while her parents worked, one of them had introduced her to the joys of Nintendo games. (Y/n) would watch as Natasha played games like Kirby or Super Mario Bros , giggling and clapping whenever she saw a character that she had liked come on screen. Her aunt Natasha worked as a game tester for Nintendo's American branch, so she was often playing games in the living room.

    One day as Natasha had been playing Kirby Super Star, Adeleine had called for her to help her with putting away groceries. Natasha was worried (Y/n) would mess with the game and mess up her save, but brushed it off to the side as she focused on the task at hand.

      'I had just saved my game, I'm in a safe spot, and (Y/n) knows not to touch the controller when I'm away. '

    (Y/n) was sitting with one of her toys that Natasha bought for her, a pink creature with a bow wearing a red and blue hat. She still did not know what to name her plush toy, but she knew one thing; he was bouncing around on a ball right in front of her aunt's character. As soon as aunt Natasha had left the room a giggle came from the screen of the TV, the sprite model had closed his eyes and giggled. (Y/n) looked up to see him say "Hi-ya!" to which she waved back with her free hand. "My name is Marx!" he says gleefully, making a sort of nod. "Marx..." she says, trying to copy his pronunciation. He giggled and said "Hey Hey, Why don't we be friends?" (Y/n) Let's out an "Uh-huh" and giggled when he went back to jumping around on his ball as soon as aunt Natasha came back in with a bowl of popcorn.

"Whatcha giggling at (Y/n)? Marx being silly again?" She asked the four year old. The toddler giggled, holding up her plushie and pointing to the screen. "Marx friend!!" Aunt Natasha raised a brow at her niece's proclamation, having sat herself down. "You sure about that kiddo? He's can get a little scary later on." Not knowing what her aunt meant she shook her head. "Nu-uhh, Marx friend!"  Natasha pressed a few buttons on the controller again, "if you say so, (n/n)."

    The young child watched as her aunt had gone to speak with a strange clock like creature with a face, and it asked what it was that they wished. It was just as Natasha's character could do anything, her new best friend pushed them out of the way, saying he wanted to control pop-star. Once his wish was granted, (Y/n) watched as he was given wings with colorful shards as feathers. A pointed, toothy grin etched his small figure that gave him a much more menacing aura.

  As Natasha battled him (Y/n) watched in shock and confusion.

    Why was her friend like this?

why did he become so...

scary?

As soon as his health bar went to zero (Y/n) watched as he let out a horrifying scream that made her start to cry. Once she did Natasha had paused the game and went to console her niece, picking her up and rubbing her back as she lets out sweet nothings to sooth the toddler. Natasha kept saying "It's okay (Y/n), it's only a game," in an attempt to help her relax a bit. As she kept crying, one teary (e/c) eye peaked over her aunt's shoulder to see the screen.

  He looked so...

Sad...

    Several years had past; now (Y/n) was around eight years old. Once again she was visiting her aunts during her winter break. She was sitting around with Natasha and Adeleine over by their Christmas tree as her own parents where out holiday shopping. There were few presents under their small tree but there was one that caught her eyes; a bright box with Mario Bros wrapping paper with her name on the tag. As (Y/n) eyes the box with fascination Natasha and Adeleine lightly chuckle. "Alright alright, it is Christmas eve, so one present. Okay (Y/n)?" Adeleine says to the hyper child.