epigraph + summary

"We cannot force ourselves to love – or to withhold it

to love – or to withhold it.
At best, we can curb our
actions. The heart itself is
beyond control. That is it's
power, and it's weakness."
chitra banerjee divakaruni

"You are a dangerous collection
of all my favourite things.
An old soul,
a heart of a gold
and hands that make my body sing."
a dangerous collection; nikita grill

————

Moira Astra and the government didn't get along. The woman, all her life, had always been on the run through the magnificent planet of Coruscant, avoiding arrest after arrest with her pirate father and smuggler mother. When she was young, the man often took her along to pirate and commandeer various ships and vessels, but after a near failure, he stopped. Not even two months after, Lucien Astra got arrested and sentenced to life. From there, Moira helped her mother smuggle various things throughout the levels of the planet – up until Master Yoda offered the nine year old a chance to be trained as a Jedi. Suki Astra urged her daughter to accept, wanting the girl out of harm's way, so despite very much not wanting to be taken away from the only family she had left, Moira went with the green Jedi to the Jedi Temple.

It quickly became clear that Moira and the Jedi Order didn't get along either. All of the masters in the Jedi Council saw good potential in her, especially Yoda, and she knew she could become a great Jedi as well, but her mind was simply confused and frustrated how she can't visit her mother, and then they wanted her to not act upon certain emotions; her young mind at the time could comprehend it completely. Lucien and Suki always told Moira to accept what she felt, to not snuff out certain parts away. She ended up spending a total of five years as a Padawan.

Time and time again, she refused to mold into of a what a Jedi should be in their eyes, too stubborn to change; too often going against authority. So, she left. She didn't let them kick her out of the Order – if she was going to leave, it'd be on her terms.

Months later, she found herself helping out her mother again, practicing the Force and training herself to the best of her ability in secret. Even when her mother died of a terrible sickness neither of them saw coming, Moira continued with the smuggling business, stayed away from the Order and the government, communicating as little as possible with any Jedis or government officials – excluding Obi-Wan Kenobi, a friend and person Moira just couldn't stay away from no matter how hard she tried.

As an adult, a war started to brew and Moira was torn between staying on her home planet, or leaving to get as far away as possible. To stay safe. With the galaxy starting to crack between two opposing forces, and with Castro urging her to do what made her happiest, Obi-Wan made a sudden appearance and asked her to join him in helping find whoever attempted to kill the Senator of Naboo. Reluctantly, she agreed, essentially helping the government who wanted her arrested and teaming up with a man from the Order she could care less for. What had been planned to be a simple trip off of Coruscant, ended up with Moira in the middle of the beginning of the Clone Wars – because nothing was ever simple when her and Obi-Wan were together.

It started to make her wonder: when did her life become so complicated? So contradictory and ironic?

(Answer: all those years ago, when her young heart fell for a boy who promised to never break an overtly religious oath; when she promised him she'd stay on a planet that she hates; when two reckless souls met for the first time long ago, forever stuck together no matter what).

————

A/N— I'm currently at work so I'm posting this on a whim, but anyway let's welcome Fractured Galaxies to my over abundance of stories!! As usual, I shouldn't be posting this, especially since I haven't been able to update anything at all for months, but I've gotten into reading Star Wars fics and then I noticed the lack of Obi-Wan fics, so this then came to be (along with three others stories), and honestly I'm so excited!!

Moira is one very stubborn, reckless yet selfless, self-trained 'Jedi' who's biggest and quite possibly only weakness is Obi-Wan Kenobi (and kids). She would rather be exploring the galaxy while smuggling various beings and items, but instead she's still stuck on Coruscant because of a promise she made at fucking fourteen years old – but also, her bff Castro plays a roll in her staying as well, and as does Anakin. Anyway, I just love her A Lot (and so does Obi-Wan but sshh, the Order can't know that) and I hope you guys do too, eventually!!

This story is the first of four in my own little SW Universe I'm calling Better Together. None of the others have been posted yet, though, so you don't have to worry about those just yet. Each book follows one of the trilogies. This one is set in the last two movies of the prequels, the next one during the originals, and the final during the sequels. Then there's the one that's set during The Mandalorian, so while the other two won't be up until this one is finished, The Mando fic (not a love story btw but rather a found fam story) could be up at any point in time. If any of y'all care.

Anyway, sorry for rambling! Hope you enjoy!!

DEDICATION(S)— to all the sw prequel fans, plus alderaans who's anakin fanfic has absolutely taken over my life xx

WARNING(S)— violence, typical Star Wars stuff, two in love idiots being stupid
[if needed, I will add onto this as well as up a warning at the beginning of the chapter if necessary]

DISCLAIMER— I do not own Star Wars nor the plots of any of the movies. The characters and stories rightfully belong to George Lucas, and other creators who helped make the movies. I only own this plot and my original characters.