Chapter 30 - Kaz

There was a tang of smoke to the air, a whisper of danger rustling through the canals. Kaz shivered. A good shiver. He breathed in the smell, tasted it, felt it in his bones. You had to love the smell of violence. If you flinched from it in the slightest, it would sniff out your fear and devour you headfirst. It was one of the first lessons Kaz had been taught in the Barrel, and one of the ones that had served him longest.

Jesper twitched beside him. "Relax," Kaz said irritably, walking a little faster. "We've done this before."

He slid his fingers down the barrel of his rifle, tapped the muzzle, fingered the trigger. Kaz shot him a glare, and he fell still. "I know," he said, forehead creased. "But things were different then. Nina was with us. And..."

Matthias's name was left unspoken, but hung leaden in the silence after. Kaz set his jaw. "We've got Rav – Ruslana, this time. And Nina had to stay."

She hadn't liked it. But Kaz was never one to sacrifice practicality for feelings – Lantsov liked her the best, and in case something went wrong she'd be more than capable of protecting him. Still, it had taken a lot of convincing on his part, and even more cajoling from Inej. "Nina, darling," he'd finally said, "this heist is all about staying hidden, and that's really not your forte. Besides, if we don't guard Nikolai, he might claim that we didn't protect him properly. And that would lead to less pay, and none of us want that."

He hadn't mentioned the other reason. That their last heist had stolen so much from her, had stolen Matthias, and Kaz wasn't going to let her lose something like that again. The kind thing to do, though the stupid one. Inej would have approved.

And speaking of Inej...

Kaz craned his head back and scanned the rooftops. Nothing but chimney stacks and pigeon nests and – there, a shadow darting silently across the tiles. He forced the smile from his face. It reassured him to know she was there.

"She'll be fine, you know," said Wylan softly.

Kaz frowned at the pavement. "I'm aware of that."

"She can take care of herself."

"Are you worried about Jesper?" Kaz snapped.

"Of course, but—"

"And do you realise he's more than capable of watching his own back?"

"Kaz—"

"I thought so."

Jesper groaned. "Saints, if I'm the one telling you to pipe down then something's really wrong."

They hurried through the fog-heavy streets. Kaz's hands were throbbing so badly he'd had to forgo his cane. Now his leg was paying the price; each step sent jolts of pain through the crooked bone, and his toes were beginning to go numb.

They'd walked for a good quarter-bell before the houses began to squat shorter and the soot-stained walls turned to clean red brick, signalling their arrival in Ketterdam's financial district. The roads were empty and eerily quiet. It was the fog, Kaz knew; for it to come so early in the year was seen as bad luck in Kerch. Spirit-weather, they called it. A time when shadows cloaked the city and blades glinted in the mist, where monsters stirred and demons walked the streets.

Looking at the locked doors and barred windows, Kaz smiled to himself. Perhaps they're right.

They stopped at a marble-walled mansion two houses down from the Goudensbank. There was a rustle, barely audible even in the quiet, and Inej dropped from the roof to stand beside him. She landed evenly, he was glad to see. Her wounds were recovering nicely.

"You know the plan," Kaz said, handing Inej a coil of rough hemp rope. "Jesper, you're distracting the guards. Inej, once you're done securing the rope go down and watch the entrance. Warn me if anyone comes near. Wylan, you're with me."

Jesper winked and sauntered towards the building, thumbs tucked in his belt. He was no Nina, but Kaz was counting on his endless chatter to keep the guards busy.

"I'll just, um, head to where we agreed," Wylan said pointedly, and left.

And then he was alone with Inej.

"I know you'll be fine," Kaz said roughly.

Inej smiled, but there was worry in her eyes. "It's you I fear for."

"Just because I don't have my cane—"

"I know you've got a gun, but can you honestly tell me you'll be able to use it?"

Kaz tried. He really did. But Thorn curved wicked thorns around the lies and strangled them before they left his lips. "I'll pray, then," he said instead, trying to make light of it. "You always said faith was the fiercest weapon."

"Idiot," Inej said fondly.

"Which of your Saints will you give me, hmm? Whose name should I call?" He leant forwards, brushed his lips across hers. Her shiver made him grin.

"Sankta Marya, perhaps," she said, tilting her head back. He trailed his lips down her neck. Her pulse fluttered, butterfly wings, and he kissed it. "Kaz," she breathed. He stole the words from her mouth with his kiss. "Kaz. We have a seal to steal."

"Mmm," he hummed, reluctantly pulling away. "Sankta Marya, yes? I'll remember that."

"Go." She nudged him. "Wylan's waiting for you."

"And probably pissing himself wondering why I haven't showed up yet," Kaz grumbled.

Inej caught his arm as he turned to leave. "Kaz," she said, "promise me you won't let them kill you."

"I'm the Bastard of the Barrel," he laughed. "I'd like to see them try."

A/N
Just a shortie this time, but more to come! I've got a lot of free time in the following weeks. This'll be over by Christmas.

(That's what they always say...)

Heh what do we think of the new Kaz header

we're in the Endgame now ;)

Jesper: wE'vE gOt rUsLaNa tHiS tImE

You, an intellectual: *sweats nervously*