VII

GILLY

The crown slipped off Jax's head and tumbled to the floor soundlessly. Gilly wrapped her fingers around Jax's hand to stop it from brushing the last few tears from her face. He tensed, frozen. She drew in a breath and stood. "I don't understand." she mumbled.

Jax laughed bitterly. "And you think I do?"

The silence enveloped them. Jax's arms softly encircled her. Gilly blinked,hard. "We have to figure out what this means."

Jax waited for a moment before responding. "This is a dream, isn't it?"

"I don't know."

"Can we get out of here?" 

Gilly brushed her hands on her dress and stood, Jax following. She marched over to the mirror closest to her and pounded on it with her fist. No reaction. She stepped back. "I don't think so."

Jax turned slowly, looking around. He pressed a hand against the mirror. "I-I can't tell anymore, you know?" He turned desperate violet eyes at her. He'd always seemed so charismatic and confident, and now, all she could see was terror.

He ran a hand through his perfect hair, rustling it into a rugged mess. "I am so sick of the lies and the magic, and the always being scared and the working and the cowering and the punishments and the confusion-" he slid to the floor, a hand over his face. "I don't know anymore." 

Gilly slid to the floor beside him. "I know."  

Jax brushed a hand through his hair. He looked uncomfortable in his suit, yet it seemed natural and perfect on him. Gilly stared at him.  

He sighed. "Well, if we can't get out of here..."

"We're trapped." 

"But.." he looked up, "it's kind of nice in here."

"Quiet."

"Calm."

"No work."

"No royalty."

"Each other." 

Jax blinked. Gilly smiled. "And each other."

Gilly leaned her head against his shoulder. Jax didn't mind. 

"In the meantime," he said, "maybe we could share what we know about these people?"

___________________________________________

HEATH

Heath's stomach rumbled.

Earlier that morning, Rumpelstiltskin had snapped his fingers and before Heath, and somehow his stomach had been filled, his hair brushed back from its familiar rumpledness, and his throat quenched. But though he'd been given substantial energy, it didn't feel as if he'd eaten anything. Heath was used to at least one meal a day, and this odd kind of feeling was not at all comforting.

He resisted the urge to brush back his stiff hair. The firm position he now stood in had been forced on him twice now. The first he'd sneezed and received a magical slap. The second, he'd whispered a curse word at the squad member who'd made a snide comment about a girl they'd found somewhere off the coasts in deep trouble with a criminal group. He'd gotten another for that one, but it was worth it.

His job as Rumpelstiltskin's assistant wasn't as bad as he'd thought-at least so far. The whispers he remembered hearing of the terrible punishments and amusements inflicted on attendants had not been introduced yet, though Heath had done his best to stay mostly out of trouble. He was on his own now, and he had to be careful. Rumpelstilskin had woken him at five in the morning to assist him in getting ready for the day. It hadn't been quite pleasant to fetch his breakfast and the like, but he had dealt with it. Then he'd taken him to this meeting of squad members and some of Olivina's proteges, where they'd discussed random matters. He stood beside Rumplestiltskin's chair with a plate of muffins. Heath felt mutinous about the way they discussed the kids in the work force, but he held his peace.