Wattpad Original
There are 2 more free parts

Chapter 1

A rapid series of changes followed the independence of the Al-Yauzhan people from the Enyan empire, most notably the formation of Al-Yauzha as a massive empire of its own—

"Noor!"

Noor looked up quickly, placing the book aside. She grimaced at the sight of the tall, frowning woman in front of her.

"What are you doing? We have to perform now, where is Haqiya?"

Noor pursed her lips. "How do I know where Haqiya is? I'm not her keeper, Nazrat," she said sullenly.

Nazrat glared, her dark eyes narrowing. "You're her friend. Go get her!" Without waiting for a response, she whirled in a flurry of gold and beads.

Noor huffed, rolling her eyes. She sent a longing glance at the book she'd just set down and stood up, smoothing down her skirts before walking out of the room.

Leave it to Haqiya to disappear just before an important performance. That girl—

She collided into someone, jolting back harshly.

"Ya'Neqer!" She cried, regaining her footing. She jerked her head up, glaring at whoever had bumped into her.

It was a boy—or man, rather, tall, lean, and admittedly handsome, dressed in a white servants' kurta and pants. His kurta was buttoned fully, till the neck, which was probably uncomfortable. He was blinking hard, rubbing his head.

"Watch where you're going!" She snapped.

The man looked up. "Excuse me? You're the one who—" He heaved a deep sigh, visibly calming himself. "I apologize. I hope you're not hurt."

Noor blinked, somewhat taken aback. "I'm not. Are—are you?"

He shook his head, the tip of his mouth quirking up. "No. I suppose we were both lucky, then."

Noor's eyebrows drew together. "I suppose."

The man grinned fully then, showing even white teeth. His cinnamon-colored eyes twinkled. "Are you a dancer?"

Noor pulled her shoulders back and lifted her chin slightly. "Yes."

"Then," the man said, smiling, "Allow me to say you look very beautiful."

"Oh," Noor muttered, looking down. To tell the truth, this was one of the best outfits she'd ever worn. A skirt that went till the floor, covered in gold beads and sequins and the bodice, similarly adorned in gold beads, stopping a good four fingertips above her navel. The shimmery, gold dupatta draped around it finished the dress.

She looked up, realizing the man was still watching her. "Thank you."

He smiled graciously. "The truth must be spoken."

Noor's face was burning. She cleared her throat. "I apologize for bumping into you, but I really must be going now."

He nodded, clasping his hands behind his back. "Of course. Before you leave, would you mind telling me where the dancing hall is?"

Noor looked him up and down, taking him in once more. "Are you new?"

He bobbed his head once. "I have not been here in a very long time."

"Ah," Noor said, "I see. Will you be there? Serving?"

He grinned. "I will be there, yes. In fact, I really should be getting there now."

"Well," Noor said, turning, "If you go down this corridor, then take two lefts, the second right and one more left, you should reach." She gestured at the nearby hallway and turned back to the man.