Prologue

She jumped down from the window seal, landing softly on the half dead grass, wondering if they had heard her. She shivered in her thin coat, and then looked around, first down the street then into the forest in front of her. She hoped they didn't hear her.

  She wanted desperately to return to the comfort of her bed, and the smell of lavender in her room, but she knew this had to be done, and it had to be done quickly. Holding the little bundle tightly and protectively in her arms, she jogged across the street and into the forest.

 It squirmed in her arms, pitching a heartbreaking cry. She began to cry. Holding the child closely, she whispered in its ears, saying she loved the child, and she hoped it would forgive her. But it had to be done. She had no other choice.

 She continued into the forest, stopping only to glance back towards the dark house, hoping she would see it again.

__________

She started to jog again, holding the precious child, looking for the signs. She jogged for some time until she saw the scratches in the bark of an old tree, probably oak, but it was too dark to tell. The giant tree was alone in a clearing. She slowed to a walk, and then she stopped.

 There, hanging from a high branch, almost too high to reach, was a basket, with a small blanket inside. She hugged the child to her, wishing she had more time. She stood there holding the child tightly until it fell asleep. Crying, she pulled the basket lower, and laid the baby within it.

 Stroking its checks, she let go of the basket. It went up a little higher and then swayed in the breeze, as if the tree itself were cradling the baby. Shaking with every breath she took, she backed up slowly, too scared to leave, and too scared to stay. She decided to stay hidden in the bush until they came.

____________

It was some time later when a branch cracked, and she awoke with a start. She stayed in the bush, holding her breath as five figures came out of the trees and into the clearing. Two of the figures were ahead of the others, slightly taller and wearing long purple robes. They walked with the same stride and the same amount of elegance. The last three shuffled along after them, seeming nervous of the first two.

 They wore long silver robes that dragged on the grass as they walked. They all approached the tree, and formed a semi-circle. The two purpled robed ones walked forwards, and while one held the branch down, the other gently took the basket. She felt herself begin to sob again, as she watched them take out the child and hold it up, as if offering it to the moon.

 One of them nodded its head, and they backed away from the tree. Cradling the child in its arms, the first purpled robed one signaled for the rest to follow it, and they began to leave the tree, single filled. She watched as they left the clearing, and waited, hoping they would return with the child and give it back. But they didn't.

She uttered a heartbreaking scream of agony, and threw herself onto the ground, pulling at her hair. She began bawling, wishing she had her child back in her arms. But it had to be done. She cried herself to sleep, thinking the whole time of what would become of her child.

But it had to be done.