chapter 4: the journal

Mr. Krause looked as though he was in his early fifties – not nearly as old as Peter had made him out to be. His brown locks were slowly turning grey. He was hunched over his plate, eyes gazed down, fork occasionally scratching the plate. Often he would murmur incoherent sentences to himself and other times gaze into seemingly nothing with a smile and other times with a tear. He seemed troubled by something – perhaps memories which warmed and haunted him.

Unable to bear the silence any longer, I initiated conversation, 'You have a lovely home Mr. Krause. I am so fortunate to be here during my stay.'

'Well there are not many options in Eroda,' he brushed over my comment as he continued to focus on the food on his plate. 'That hotel they have been attempting to remodel has been in the works for years now.'

'Yes, well I – I am grateful nonetheless. Peter has been so welcoming and of great company,' I gestured my hand in his direction. This comment caused Peter to smile shyly.

'Not frolicking around with my guest I hope,' Mr. Krause narrows his eyes in Peter's directions. 'Anyway Miss...what was your name again?'

'Dorothy.'

'Oh yes, Dorothy,' he pointed his index finger upward. 'What brings you to the isle of Eroda?'

'Oh, just learning about a bit of family history,' I kept the details to a minimum.

The next day I awoke to a note left on the kitchen table. Peter apologised that he would be out for the morning due to an unexpected errand and had left breakfast out for me if he did not return in time. I decided on something less extravagant – some hot oats and tea. Just as I was finishing up, Peter rushed into the dining room.

'O damn it,' he exclaimed. 'I was hoping to be back in time, I am so sorry Dorothy.'

'Good morning to you too Peter.'

'My apologies, good morning Dorothy,' Peter said out of breath.

'Gone out for a morning run?' I joked.

'Very funny,' he replied in annoyance. 'I can assure you, I went on a very exciting yet somewhat goose chase.' Peter took out a jug of cold water from the fridge and began to pour himself a glass which he gulped down, 'Ahh.'

'Long story short. I went down to the housing and residential office. Do not get too excited though – from what I heard, the owner is not the most open person to strangers wandering the premises. After some much persuading though...' Peter dug into the bag strung across his chest, 'I was able to get hold of this.'

With both hands, Peter excitedly held up a tattered leather book.

'A book?' I arched a brow in confusion.

'Gosh, Dorothy, could you be more excited?' he sarcastically mocked and handed the book to me. 'It was one of the few items left in the cottage. Go on, open it.'

I briefly flicked through the pages of the delicate handwriting, 'A diary?'

'Look at the front,' Peter egged on.

I flipped back to the front of the book to see the initials J Ashton, 'My mother's diary?'

'Well, I do not think there are any other Ashtons' here,' Peter folded his arms and gave me look which meant Gosh Dorothy you are so slow, of course it's your mother's!

'Oh my God,' a smile stretched across my face. 'Do you know what this means? All the many secrets and answers to my questions could all be within in this single book. Thank you, thank you, thank you!' I rambled and embraced him quickly.

Peter seemed taken back by my sudden outburst that he did not have time to react, 'Y-you welcome.'

Unable to contain the excitement and curiosity burning inside of me, I rushed up to my room and shut door and turned to the first page.

3 August 1939

Eroda – the place of my birth...

A/N The chapters which follow (majority of the book) will be a flashback to Juliet's POV during the 1930s/1940s which Dorothy will be reading in her mother's diary

A/N The chapters which follow (majority of the book) will be a flashback to Juliet's POV during the 1930s/1940s which Dorothy will be reading in her mother's diary. We will also be meeting someone very special in the next chapter!!