Taking A Step

"I'm just not feeling up to anything today," you mumbled, picking up some scattered books and putting them back on the shelves.

"It'll be good for you then," Rocy said, stretching his legs out as he leaned back in an armchair, "You need a distraction from work. You're always working."

You rolled your eyes at the book in your hands before sliding it into an empty space. It was true that all you did was work. But work was all you had, and all you wanted. Gran couldn't do it by herself.

"Sorry, Rocy," you sighed.

A thud from above you drew your eyes upward and you saw an arm resting against the shelf over your head. You turned to find the tall blond leaning over you, bending down to your level.

A flush immediately covered your cheeks and you dropped your gaze.

Rocy watched you fidget for a few moments. Then he reached down and scooped you up.

"Wha!" you yelped in surprise and your arms instinctively wrapped around his neck.

"Hehe, that's more like it," he chuckled and you felt his arms secure around your body, "That gloomy face didn't look good on you." He spun around and strode towards the door.

Your cheeks burned but you couldn't help the smile that tugged at you lips.

"W-what are you doing, Rocy?" you mumbled, "I can walk by myself."

The blond cleared his throat as he shouldered the door open and stepped out into the clear summer night. You blinked and narrowed your eyes at him. Was he blushing? No, there was no way.

"I... I refuse to take no for an answer," he stated.

You gave the side of his face a blank stare.

"But that was my answer," you deadpanned, "I just don't have the energy to help you fix the bathroom. And, no offense, but you're probably going to drop- Aah!"

You were suddenly catapulted into a street-side flower bed as Rocy tripped over his own shoelace and crashed to the pavement. The peonies cushioned your fall and loosed a cloud of heady perfume into the night air. With a resigned sigh, you picked yourself up and trudged over to the man sprawled over the sidewalk. His legs were akimbo and he gave you an upside-down apologetic frown,

"Are you alright?" you couldn't help but smile as you bent down and offered your hand.

Rocy hesitated before reaching up and clasping your fingers. But instead of letting you pull him up, he yanked you down onto his chest. Large arms closed around you and enveloped you in the most comforting embrace you'd ever known.

"Even though you were in such a bad mood, you still smiled for me," your face was pushed into his insanely sculpted chest and you felt his voice more than you heard it, "Y/n... will you... would you like to see a movie with me this Saturday? Just us?"

You froze. Your brain couldn't comprehend what you'd just heard. It took a few long seconds before you could gather the courage to raise your head.

Rocy was watching you with an anxious frown. Your heart squeezed in your chest and you slowly blinked at him.

"Did... did you just ask me out?" you stammered, feeling his muscles tense under you.

You've got to be dreaming. This would never happen in real life. This... was this really happening?

Rocy's cheeks flushed a bright red and he jerked his head to the side.