EIGHT

CHAPTER EIGHT
—dumb ghosts

🗡🗡🗡

—JUDITH'S eyes grew ever heavier throughout the day — no, night? Afternoon? Whatever. Time was irrelevant in a place like the labyrinth, especially on your own.

She had forced herself to stay awake for what felt like a whole 24 hours already, but she couldn't truly tell. She hadn't thought about obtaining a watch when leaving camp, she'd have to remember that next time ( hah, as if she'd return to this place willingly again ).

The girl's finger tips on her right hand were raw as she scraped them along the brick walls. She'd returned to her trick that she hoped would help her get back to certain checkpoints. Keep one hand touching one continuous wall at all times and you'll have a straight path back. The only issue with this idea was that she had to take a fixed course. She could never jump walls to take a path on her left. It didn't matter anyway, the labyrinth took away all her gut feelings and instincts. She was running blind.

At that thought, Judith stumbled as she was struck with a heavy feeling of emptiness and chill. It reminded her of death. And that was the only lead she could possibly have to Nico. That, or to her worst nightmare.

It was coming from a tunnel on her left.

Judith placed her palm flat against the stone wall where her fingers rested. She took a breath before stepping away from the wall, a strange feeling washing over her as she was submerged in the darkness with nothing next to her anymore. She was hasty in moving to the next wall she could feel, this time reaching out for the left side so her right hand's fingerprints could rest. She blew on them and hissed as they stung.

Judith walked cautiously down the dimly lit tunnel, squinting her eyes to maybe see something that might be right in front of her without her knowing. That immense feeling of total darkness and vacancy deepened and Judith knew that she was getting closer. Whether it was closer to Nico or to some monster, she didn't know. Just in case, Judith reached behind her head to grab her ax. She gripped it differently than usual as her fingers disliked any pressure put on them.

By the time Judith believed she was at the prime spot of the sensation, it was too late. The girl could feel the sharp tip of a blade rest against her throat, a light glint reflecting into her eyes. But it was on a black sword.

"Nico?" She asked through the darkness.

The pressure on her neck only eased slightly, but it was enough of an answer.

"It's Judith. From camp." Sh let her weapon arm relax only a smidge. The kid could still decide to attack her.

"Why are you here?" His raspy yet boyish voice echoed in the damp corridor.

Judith wasn't quite sure what she wanted to answer — or rather, what he would rather hear. Would he take kindly to her coming after him? Would he hate her for thinking he was too weak to handle himself? Would he turn on her and think she had come to stop his plot against Percy? So many different scenarios ran through her head.

"I was split off from the quest group," Judith lied. She couldn't risk him running away from her.

The Stygian Iron sword was no longer directed at her, but she was sure he was alert. As he should be. "Quest group?" Nico asked hesitantly.