CHAPTER 1

The world was covered in white. Ice fell from the sky into the cheek of the girl laying on a frozen lake. Feeling the wet and cold substance on her skin, she slowly opened her eyes. Her view was that of a star-less sky. She was dazed, feeling empty… she was empty. A blank slate.

She does not know how she got here. Her memories were wiped clean. It was winter but she was wearing a white sleeveless one-piece and was barefooted. It was cold… but the cold was comforting. The cold has a different kind of warmth, scalding her skin and also her heart.

She got up and started to walk aimlessly. She looked at every person she passed by on the street, hoping they would recognize her. When she reached the town square, it looked unfamiliar to her.

She wondered; this was how life worked… how destiny worked.

Have you ever thought how a person you sat beside with on the bus, could be someone you'll fall in love with? Or how a person you cross paths with on the sidewalk, could be someone you'll spend the rest of your life with? Or someone that you just saw yesterday, could suddenly die today? It was too much of a coincidence for it to be called 'just a coincidence'. Somehow, it makes you believe in fate… that if it is fated to be… it will be.

She was too lost in her thoughts that she was not able to realize that she crossed during a red light. A fancy car almost hit her. Thankfully, it stopped only a few inches from her. The loud annoyed honk from the car woke her up from her thoughts. She turned to look at the car only to meet eyes with the driver.

The driver looked pleasantly surprised; recognition painted across his face. He frantically got down and came up to her. Grabbing her arm, he said, "You! It's you, right? Euri Simmons."

The girl, Euri, looked straight into the man's eyes. Her eyes looked blank and empty, "I don't know…  I don't remember."

"Don't remember? It's me! Frederic Monroe… Deric from high school." Euri's soulless response did not discourage the man. "Anyway, get in the car. Let's talk somewhere else." Deric remembered that they were in the middle of the road so he helped Euri into the car.

While driving, Deric noticed Euri's clothes, "Why don't we stop by a shop somewhere and get you some warmer clothes."

The car stopped in front of an expensive-looking shop. Deric held onto Euri's hands as he escorted her inside. The inside was even more luxurious with its golden interior designs. The clerks lined up and greeted in unison. Euri was taken aback by the sudden choral. She would've run away if it weren't for Deric gripping her hand tightly.

One lady stepped forward and led them to a private room. Deric seemed to be used to places like this, as he calmly commanded, "Bring out all the women's latest winter collection." The lady clerk bowed deeply before leaving to obey his words.

"Are you rich, Deric?" Euri curiously asked.

Deric chuckled, "Hmm… I'm a CEO now. I have inherited the company from my father."

Euri only nodded in understanding.

The shopping went crazy as Deric bought all the clothes from the winter collection. He also got casual and daily clothes. It looked like he wanted her to live with him. Alarm bells started ringing in Euri's head, but it's not like she could do anything. She remembers nothing and could only depend on this person that claimed to know her.

Looking closely at this man… Deric is a handsome guy in his 20s. His black hair was styled back, sharp brown eyes, high nose, thin pink lips, tall, slender but muscular physique. He looks kind and gentle, but also a bit domineering… must be because he is a rich CEO. Isn't he a little too perfect? Does he really exist? I thought men like this could only exist in novels.

In contrast, Euri looked a bit average. She changed into a turtle-neck dress, leggings, boots and a long coat. It was the first time she saw her reflection without her memory. She must say, she was a bit disappointed. She thought that she was a beauty considering a hot CEO was spoiling her like this.

She had black bob-cut hair, brown droopy eyes, button nose, pale lips and petite stature. Her only advantage was that she looked younger, despite Deric saying that they were the same age. She does not know if it was because she lost her memory… but she looked weak and sickly with a gloomy atmosphere around her.

Euri's observation was cut short when the car arrived in a five-star restaurant. It looked like Deric reserved the whole place as there were no other people. The waiters also stood away from them, unless they are called upon.

The place was dim, the only light source was the candles on the table. It was too dark to be romantic… but the reflection of the fire on Deric's eyes brought more intensity to his already dominating aura. It did not scare Euri but it made her heart skipped a beat. There was something about the way he looked at her that made her cower in defeat. There was longing… sadness… and a hint of… love?

Euri faked cough to ease the tense atmosphere, "You said you know me? Were we close?"

"I do know you, but no… we were not close." Deric said with a smile… His smile looked a little lonely to Euri.

"Though you must know my family, right?" Euri continued.

Deric took a sip of wine and shook his head a little, "I heard they moved away so I don't know right now. Don't worry, I'll ask someone to look for them.  I, however, know that your little brother is a teacher at our old high school. Maybe we can ask him too. I'll also try to contact your best friend, Sophia Sanders... for the time being, why don't you stay with me?"

"I see… I want to connect with them as fast as possible but I'm in a hopeless situation… I could only choose to trust you. I feel like I'm imposing on your kindness though… at least let me do the housework… Or should I greet the lady of the house first?" Euri was a little dispirited when she heard his words.

"No need. My parents live abroad so there is only a servant in the house… there's no lady in my life." The atmosphere went awkward again after Deric said this.

"So… how did we meet again?" Euri desperately tried to save the conversation.

"We were in the same class our whole high school years. We never really interacted much… but the first time we talked to each other was on the last day of our first year…"