CHAPTER 8

Deric fell to his knees and prostrated in front of Euri, "I heard that day you didn't return to the party and headed home. There was an infamous serial killer going around. You became his prey... You disappeared suddenly... I thought you were avoiding me… until you were found at the lake. You were frozen along with it whole winter and was only found when the ice melted. I thought to myself… If only I was a little more mature and a little less petty back then… If only I faced my feelings head on… If only I wasn't so afraid of rejection… If only I brought you home… Maybe, you'll still be alive now."

Deric continued, "I was even suspected that time if it weren't for the CCTVs... though I would've preferred to be locked behind bars, since it was my fault it happened... I'm so sorry, Euri."

Euri was taken aback by Deric's sudden break down, "Don't... Don't be like this... It wasn't your fault, Deric… I went to that lake myself."

"You… did? Why?" Deric lifted his head.

"Well... the percentage of meeting a serial killer when you just wanted to get a little cold air and think about some things weren't exactly that high… or so I thought... I guess I was just unlucky…" Euri solemnly said.

Deric shook his head as he choked up in tears, "Still… I didn't want you to die. I wanted to be with you. I wanted to confess to you again until you finally accept me. We were supposed to go to Hawaii… I… I missed you. I prayed and prayed… I've filled those sleepless nights with your memories. I visited this lake every year. I also cleaned your tombs every year. I helped your family go on with their lives... Even if mine became like this... I just thought that maybe you'll be touched by my efforts and come back to me. So imagine how I felt when I saw you again, it was even your death anniversary. That was why I tried so hard to hide the truth…I thought maybe, just maybe... If we deny reality hard enough, the illusion wont break."

Euri knelt in front of him and hugged him, "Oh Deric… I'm sorry… I've hurt you…I guess it was only our destiny. We were only meant to meet, but we're not meant to be. We are only just passing by each other's life…I…"

Euri became emotional as she revealed her true thoughts, "To be honest... I'm scared. I know I'm being selfish. I'm saying all of this but… I hate it. I hate that I'm just a bitter memory that you guys have to move on from. I hate that when I died, you were sad and mourned but I know that eventually... you'll forget about me. You'll move on and be happy. Perharps, you'll even have a family of your own... and you'll just remember me every now and then... perhaps, once a year or maybe never…"

When Euri noticed Deric's silence, she realized what she just said. She made a mistake, "I'm sorry… I didn't mean…"

"Let's get married." Deric grabbed both of Euri's hands.

"What!?" Euri exclaimed.

"Meet me at that park from back then. I'll go prepare everything. You must come after three hours. Okay? Promise me!" Deric stood up and walked away as he started making phone calls.

Euri was left flabbergasted, but her heart became lighter, "…promise…"

Euri thought what she could do in three hours, when she suddenly thought of Eun. She hasn't properly talked to him yet. Though without a ride, it would be troublesome. She tried using her ghostly powers, if she had any. Euri thought really hard and pictured her old highschool. Then she finally succeeded in being transported.

Eun was in the middle of conducting a test. He sat on the teacher's desk observing his students.

Euri sat on the empty seat in front of him and looked at him, "Wow! Eun… You're really a teacher now… You didn't even like teaching. You told me you wanted to be a doctor… Was it because of me? I'm sorry, Eun. Your sister cannot help you anymore. You'll have to face mom and dad's scolding all by yourself..."

Euri words were cut off when Eun's phone rang. She noticed the caller's ID had a heart. Euri assumed it was Eun's girlfriend, "…I guess you weren't exactly alone huh. How envying… You can be with someone you love. I hope you treasure her… and I hope she loves you as much as I love you."

Eun texted his girlfriend that he is in the middle of a test right now and can't answer the phone. Then, he suddenly felt a little sad and remembered his sister, "Sister... I'm older than you now and I even became a teacher… I may not be able to run towards the sunset with my students, but I'm still a teacher. I made your dreams come true... I hope you're proud of me, sister."

"I'm always proud of you, Eun." Euri smiled and disappeared. "Goodbye, Eun. Take care of Mom and Dad for me."

Three hours went by fast. Euri arrived at the playground where Deric confessed to her before, "I'm here."

"Wear this." Deric handed her a box.

Euri opened it, "What is this?"

"A wedding gown. Aren't we getting married? Right here, right now." Deric said proudly.

"Hahaha there's no one here. Do we even have a priest? How about the rings?" Euri thought Deric was kidding.

"Our vows are enough... and I have the rings right here." Deric took out a small box from his pocket.

After Euri wore the wedding dress, Deric held her left hand and put the ring on her as he said his vow, "Euri Simmons. I, Frederic Monroe, promised with all my heart and soul to love you from this life to the next. I will live every second of my life remembering you. I will remember you as my most beautiful winter memory… my winter miracle... my snow blessing... And at the last moment of my life, I will go to you with a smile and a lot of stories to tell. So wait for me... I love you, now and forevermore."

Euri's tears threatened to fall as she took the other ring and put it on Deric's ring finger, "Frederic Monroe. I, Euri Simmons, promised with all my soul to love you from this life to the next. I don't know where I'll go from now on, but all I know is that heaven is being able to return to your side. Don't let me hold you back. Live your life. Love with all your heart. Create a family and be happy. I will watch over you… Your children will be my children… Your grandchildren will be my grandchildren… and so on. And at the last moment of your life, I will be there. Tell me wonderful stories from this lifetime. I will wait for you… And I was not able to tell this to you before... I love you too, now and forevermore."

Deric leaned in and kissed the tears at the corner of her eyes, than went and kissed her lips. He whispered gently to her ears, "I will always remember you. I promise."

Euri smiled and closed her eyes, "I think I know why I returned... and why you're the only one who could see and touch me... It was because..."

Euri was not able to finish her words as she turned transparent and disappeared. Her wedding dress and ring fell on the ground. Deric won't be able to hear the rest of her words, as his tears fell while he picked up her ring.

Christmas and new year went by in a blink of an eye. Winter has ended and so did the miracle. It has been a month since Euri disappeared.

Deric's clock began ticking once again. His nights are now full of happy dreams... but he would never forget that one winter day.

Deric touched his necklace with the two rings as he looked up to the sky. He would always remember that in his life, there existed a Euri Simmons that he loved with his entire being.

She also existed that day...

As his winter miracle…

As his most wonderful winter memory...

His snow blessing.

❄THE END❄