Chapter 4

The figure was light weighted so he knocked her off his back and held her to the ground forcing the knife out of her hand. 

The girl was restrained but still grabbing at the blade.

"Nooo! I.... won't go... back.  You won't do... those... things to me again.", the girl said defeated.  She managed to grab the knife.  With a wide stab she tried to stab him in the neck but he caught her arm but let go of her other arm.  The girl with her now free arm pushed him over and got atop him and was about to make a fatal thrust of the blade into his chest. 

"Die!", She screamed at the top of her lungs.

WUMP!

He made an incapacitating blow to her face.  She then collapsed. 

She might have a headache when she wakes up., John thought.

He pushed her off of him.  He then laid her out and examined her.  John observed that she had been starving for some time because of her frail figure.  He picked up her knife and noticed that it was a piece of a mirror with a cloth for a handle.  He opened her coat to see what else she had been carrying but to his shock, all she was wearing was a worn school shirt and even more worn jeans with tears everywhere.  Out of remorse John opened his bag and pulled out the two Scottish mens' clothes and took her worn pants off, neatly folded them, and set them off to the side.  The cleaner pair of pants were green khakis that didn't fit even with a belt unless you tightened it to the slimmest setting.  Then he moved on to her school shirt which had a cat symbol that he recognized.

Another flashback occurred but this one was a bit longer and clearer than the last one. He saw a hallway full of people running at him screaming. But there was another sound that drowned out the screams. Gun shots.

He turned around and ran as well then saw the symbol of the cat.

CRACK!

John suffered an awakening blow to his head then he saw the girl standing over him pointing his gun at him.

"You little creep! You're just like the men I escaped from. So tell me, what is it like to be on the other side of your own gun barrel?", She said mockingly holding the gun in one hand and her head where he hit her in another. "You think you can use me and walk away!? Just like that!? And to think I knew you back before the riots!"

John felt what was like a bolt of lightning darting through his spine in what he thought was at first a fear but it was actually surprise. He noticed that she was struggling to hold up the gun, she mustn't have eaten in days. John quickly rolled to the side and sprung upright.

BANG!

She fired the gun but her reflexes were so slow she missed him by two feet. Comically the gun's recoil caused itself to fly back and hit herself in the face knocking her back a few steps. Her hand was held over her face as if she was gripping something but John knew that was not the case. Blood oozed from the inside of her fingers. The sight of the gun had left a blood drawing cut on her forehead.

John took advantage of this and charged at her. He pushed the girl to the ground. The gun fell out of her hand. The girl struggled for the gun like a crazed rodent attacks another creature when threatened.  Quickly John stepped on her wrist locking it on the ground.

"Aaargggh!", she screamed in pain.

John punched her in the face knocking her to the ground unconscious.  He, with out a second thought, took two pairs of hand cuffs and gently, but nonetheless firmly, bound her hands with one pair behind her back.  Then with the other pair of cuffs he bound her legs.  John didn't bother to finish dressing her in a shirt rather he took a blanket that was nearby and rolled her in it.  

John braced her unconscious body on his shoulder and picked up his gun. He headed toward the slaver's pale, lifeless body when Arkansas darted around the corner with the rife at the ready.

"Gees kid, what was the shots for and what is that on your shoulder.", he asked as he noticed the girl's feet protruding out of the blanket. "Who is that?!"

"I dunno.  But take what ever that slaver has on him. Strip him naked if you have to."

"Where are you going with that person?"

"Back to the house she has some explaining to do."