Wattpad Original
There are 4 more free parts

3| First encounter

I slipped on my new Taylor's apron before adjusting the straps. No longer did I have to wear a low cut blouse and red plaited skirt. My new uniform consisted of a smart black shirt, fitted black trousers and a dark maroon apron with the perfect-sized pockets. Take that, Lacy.

I spent the morning working my ass off, desperate to prove to Alex that my waitressing skills were as great as I'd made out. I'd had off days working at Barney's diner, but waitressing at a Tapas bar back in Barcelona had definitely improved my abilities–as well as my attitude toward unruly customers.

I scrubbed at tables and dutifully served coffee, all the while pretending I was back in Barcelona and having the time of my life. Museums, beaches, underground raves–it felt like I'd lived a lifetime in only a year. But as much as I loved reminiscing, thoughts soon turned to Nate. Leaving this town had most definitely come at a price.

At around lunchtime, Alex came out to tell me how well I was doing and how impressed he was with my work ethic. It felt nice hearing somebody recognize all my hard work–mostly because no one ever did.

"You know, my dad was so reluctant to let me open up my own diner," he said as we sat out back. We weren't confined to the smoking area to take our breaks–there was a designated room with a kitchen and everything, as well as a flat screen tv. "He didn't believe I could do it. But I feel like when this place really gets going, he's going to be proven wrong."

I studied him for a second, taking in his wistful gaze. "I don't doubt that for a second," I said, "but why did you choose Pinewood of all places?"

He laughed a little at my incredulous tone. "Truth be told, my dad chose the location. He wanted me to start somewhere small and off the map until I've proven myself to him. And this town is right near a highway. It's the perfect pit stop for people just passing through. Makes it a good location for a diner."

He was right about this place only ever being a pit stop, and the moment I left Pinewood, I'd realized just how empty it really was.

After my lunch break, I continued moving from booth to booth, serving a handful of customers with my fellow waitress, Carol. It was relatively empty despite Alex's enthusiasm; I found myself praying that Taylor's would one day meet his father's expectations. 

At a particular lull, the diner door swung open again. I turned to the customer, ready to put on my biggest smile, when I finally looked at his face. Nate stood in the doorway looking as handsome as ever. He was wearing faded blue jeans, a white t-shirt and the worn leather jacket that always made my stomach flutter.

His honey-coloured eyes quietly bore through mine. He looked as surprised to see me standing there as I was to see him. I'd been intent on avoiding him until the day that I died, but clearly fate had other ideas.

"Nate," I uttered. It was like looking at a ghost; I'd spent so long hating him, praying I'd never see him again, but now that he was here, all I wanted to do was hold him.

Surprise left his face and was replaced with disdain. He leant against the diner door, folding his arms with an air of indifference. "What are you doing here?" he asked. "Figured you were still living it up in Barcelona."

I straightened out my apron, trying to appear calm and collected despite my anxiety. "I wish," I said lightly. "That little pesky thing they call a visa expired. I had no choice but to hotfoot it out of there. I heard you and my dad have gone all Bonnie and Clyde on me, though."

He smirked a little despite his best efforts, and I caught a glimmer of the Nate I fell in love with. "Not quite," he said. "Our partnership is strictly platonic. And legal."

"Good," I said. "You're too pretty to end up in prison."

An awkward silence stretched between us. I couldn't exactly pinpoint the moment our relationship broke down, but it seemed to happen in a blink of an eye. One minute we were FaceTiming, the next, it was a chore just to make time for each other. I'd invited him to visit me more times than I could count, but he was always busy working at the auto shop–too busy to care.

Only now that I faced him did I realize I resented him for it. For claiming to love me and then not bothering to visit, for refusing to come with me in the first place. I wasn't stupid, I knew he couldn't just drop work and his responsibilities to hop on a plane, but he didn't even try. After everything we'd been through, he didn't even try. That was what hurt the most; maybe if he had, things wouldn't have had to end.

His eyes slowly dropped to my apron, taking it in with distaste. "You work here now?"

I pushed away the bitter thoughts and forced out a smile. "It's my first day. Hey, if you order something, it'll look like I'm doing a really good job."

He smiled again before it quickly turned into a scowl. "As much as I'd love to help you out, there's no way in hell I'm giving my money to this place."

"Well, nice to see you, too, Nate."

I turned to find Alex leant against the bar, watching us carefully. "Wait," I said. "You two know each other?"

"We've met," Nate said sharply. "He used our business to fix up this place and then refused to pay us for months."

Alex straightened up a little. "You got your money, didn't you?"

Nate's eyes narrowed. He was wearing that expression he always wore when he was ready to beat the crap out of somebody. He moved toward Alex, slapping a piece of paper on the counter. "The receipt you asked for." Then he quickly turned to face me, giving me one last look. "I hope you like working with Satan, Meg, because that's who your new boss is."

"He can't be any worse than Roy," I joked, nobody laughed.

As soon as Nate left, Alex couldn't stop apologizing. "I'm really sorry about that, Meg. It's not exactly the kind of vibe I wanted on your first day. Nate and I had a lot of problems when his company were working on my diner. I wasn't satisfied with their professionalism or the work they produced, so we've been in dispute these last few months. You're doing a really great job, though. Keep up the good work."

I smiled a little before getting back to work, but I couldn't curb the feeling that things were about to get very, very complicated.

A/N
Hope you guys enjoy this chapter!

Where is everyone reading from?? I'm from 🇬🇧