Seven

SEVEN

Amelia prayed they were almost to Spruce Hill. She wanted to sleep on an actual bed and take a long, hot, relaxing bath. If only her mind would relax. Too much has happened on this trip, and she wasn't sure she was strong enough to handle any more surprises. Seeing her brother after thinking he was dead had been such a shock. Yet, she was sure her anger toward him for leaving her in the orphanage had been the very thing hardening her heart. It would be a long time before she could forgive him for doing that to her.

She peered out across the land toward the ocean. The closer to the ocean they came, the closer they'd be to Spruce Hill. At least she knew they'd reach their destination today.

The pounding of the horse's fast hoofs on the ground pulled her attention toward Duke riding up next to the wagon. He looked so rugged and handsome on top of the horse, and she couldn't control the heavy sigh slipping from her throat.

"Amelia," he said in a serious tone. "We need to stop for a few minutes. There's something I need to talk to you about before we reach Spruce Hill."

She wasn't sure she liked the look of concern on his expression, but at least she knew she could trust him. She signed to Uncle Theo and told him to stop the wagon. Duke pulled his horse to a stop and dismounted before tying the animal to the wagon. He reached his hand up to Amelia.

"I need to speak to you in private."

She glanced at her brother who leaned against the wagon with his arms folded. She realized she liked it better when she couldn't see his face because of the way he looked at her with a cocky, know-it-all grin made her want to slap his face.

She handed Uncle Theo the rifle before signing, Don't let Bobby out of your sight. Theo's expression hardened and he gave her a sharp nod.

Turning toward Duke, she smiled and slipped her hand into his as he helped her down. He kept hold of her hand as he hooked it over his arm.

"Let's go for a little walk," he said, leading the way.

After a few moments passed without anything said, her chest tightened as worry grew inside her. "Duke? What's wrong?"

He stopped near a large oak tree and faced her. His gray eyes had a hint of sadness to them, but it was the concern on his expression that worried her the most.

"Before we reach Spruce Hill, I wanted to tell you..." He cleared his throat. "I wanted to tell you the truth as to why I'm really here."

"The truth?" Her throat tightened.

"I'm not heading to Spruce Hill to work at the lumber mill. I'm a bounty hunter who is looking for a criminal."

"A... bounty hunter?" Fear spread through her quickly and stiffened her limbs. Slowly, she pulled her hand away from him. Dread filled her and she wanted to scream with frustration. She was certain Mr. Stone knew she'd had stolen his money and hired someone to find her and Gracie. But it didn't matter. She would not go back to that hellhole.

"Yes. I was hired to look for a woman who'd kidnapped Astoria's mayor's daughter."

Her mind tripped over his words as relief swept through her. He wasn't looking for a thief, and yet... "Do you believe this kidnapper his in Spruce Hill?"

He chuckled forcefully and removed his hat, pushing his fingers through his dark hair. "I'd like to know that answer more than anything because when I first met you, I thought you were the criminal I was after."

Confusion expanded in her head, making it throb. "You thought I had kidnapped the mayor's daughter?"

"The picture I saw of the little girl looked very similar to Gracie, and the description I was given of the kidnapper – along with her name – was you."