Epilogue

EPILOGUE

Duke stood at the altar with the most beautiful woman he'd ever met, repeating his vows in front of the clergyman and the town. The church was filled wall to wall with people who'd come to watch their new mayor and the town's sweet widow get married.

Amelia was breathtaking all in white. Her puffy shoulders of the gown's material tapered down her arms, hugging her wrists. The heart-shaped bodice emphasized the generous womanly curves she'd been blessed with, and the bottom half of the gown poofed out around her legs. White beads were sewn on the bodice and the snowflake designs decorating the skirt. But what made her so lovely was gazing into her amazing hazel eyes – eyes filled with love just for him.

At times during the ceremony, her eyes watered, but that only made him want to stare at her and forget everyone around them. In fact, the clergyman had to remind Duke to say I will. The crowd seemed to get a chuckle out of this, as well as his new wife. He just couldn't help it. His thoughts were not his own as he stared at her beauty.

Before he knew it, the clergyman asked for the bride's ring. Duke slipped it on her delicate hand, softly caressing her skin before he withdrew. Then the clergyman was pronouncing them husband and wife and telling Duke that he could kiss the bride.

As much as he wanted to kiss her passionately, he didn't want to embarrass her in front of their guests. He took her in his arms and lowered his mouth to hers, but when their lips met, she was the one to turn the kiss passionate and hold onto him as if she never wanted to let him go. He was proud of his brave wife.

He ended the kiss, not wanting the older women in the crowd to swoon because of the inappropriate kiss shared by the new husband and wife. Amelia smiled as she looked up into his eyes.

"I love you," she whispered.

"And I love you." He winked.

The clergyman introduced to the crowd, Mr. and Mrs. Logan. Duke took hold of her hand as they walked side-by-side up the aisle as the crowd cheered. When they reached the church's doors, he swept Amelia up in his arms and carried to their waiting buggy decorated with streamers and ribbons. He placed her on the seat before sitting next to her.

Their guests had followed them out, waving and calling out congratulations. But Duke only had eyes for his bride as she gathered her in his arms again.

"Well, Mrs. Logan. What should we do next?"

"I believe, Mr. Logan, that it's customary for the groom to take his bride on a honeymoon. So where, my darling husband, are you going to take me?"

He grinned and waggled his eyebrows. "What do you think about Puffin Point Lighthouse – the one that's farther out. I convinced Max Tucker to let us stay there tonight."

Her eyes widened. "Are you sure? Won't that lighthouse be hard to get to?"

He chuckled. "Where is your sense of adventure, dear wife? Don't you trust me to take good care of you?"

Her smile relaxed and she nodded. "Of course, you wonderful man. I trust you will all my heart... now and forever." She shrugged. "And even longer than that, if possible."

His love grew, which he didn't think could happen since he loved her so much. "It's possible. I'll make sure of it."

THE END