Chapter 12: Pulse

I'm down from the cockpit immediately after getting us in hyperspace

I'm down from the cockpit immediately after getting us in hyperspace. I set a course for Sorgan, a desolate forest planet. Hopefully we can rest up there and gather our bearings.

First I have to patch Mando up.

"Hey! You still with me?" He's nodding, breathing heavily under the helmet. "How did this hit you?! I thought beskar-" I stop once I notice a break in armor, like a beetle. "Oh."

He scoffs at me, and I huff. "I need to take off the armor and shirt underneath to treat it. Can I do that?" I ask softly, and he's silent for a good minute. He turns his head to me and nods. "Yes." He sounds apprehensive.

"I'm not going against your way," I say. "I'm saving your life. I need to stop the bleeding."

He relaxes a little at my words, and I slowly unclasp his armor, discarding it to the side. When my fingers brush at his shirt hem, he tenses, so I only raise the shirt so it's only below his chest.

"I won't take it off completely," I assure him. "It'll be back on in no time."

As I'm talking, the child scrambles onto the cot, watching Mando with worry. "Don't fret," I tell it, "He's gonna be fine."

I open the medical kit, grabbing gauze and bandages and solution for cleaning the wound. "You have sand in it! You're careless," I can't help but scold him, and he scoffs again. "It'll hurt. Do you want liquor? I can close my eyes."

"I don't drink."

I look at him, surprised. "How can you not drink?"

"You're an alcoholic."

"Am not! I drown my sorrows sometimes, not all the time," I defend myself. "This will hurt." He grips the sides of the cot, his stomach flexing in instinct. I flush as I work, trying to not get distracted. It's extremely difficult.

His grip on the cot slackens, and I know he's out. Panicking, I try looking for a pulse, but it's difficult as my one hand is occupied at his stomach. I reach up, past his helmet, my fingers looking for a pulse.

Maker, please...

His hand snaps to my wrist, gripping it, but not harshly. "Your helmet isn't coming off, I freaked out and thought you were dying," I ramble. He lets go, his breathing calming down a little, and nods at me.

"I trust you."

I swallow nervously, looking back down and resuming my work. I wrap up his side, securing the bandage, and he sighs in relief once I pull away, tugging his shirt back down over his stomach. He leaves his armor off, and he relaxes against the cot.

"I...I didn't see anything, I swear," I mutter nervously, tucking the medical kit away.

"I know," he says weakly, and he sighs, but not from annoyance. He's exhausted. I stand up, helping the child down and to it's cradle for a nap. The poor thing is so distraught, it's as tired as Mando.

After shutting the cradle, I walk hesitantly towards Mando's bed. I can't tell if he's sleeping or not, so I sit down on the cot, taking his gloved hand and squeezing slightly.

I stay like this, watching over him, but my eyes are heavy. I don't know how long I sit, but I eventually pass out on Mando's chest.

Thank you all for reading and voting!