INTRODUCTIONS: INTRUSION, Pt. 01 [Story No. 01]

MESSAGE: This story and its sequel are actually prequels to ‘MANIFESTATIONS’, but the events within occur a week after ‘Sinead & Dexter's Afterschool Chat’. However, seeing as that it's the first story I wrote which introduced Shantrice and Sinead, I'm keeping it at the beginning of the book. For some, this may seem confusing and a tad like a continuity issue, but I assure you it's not. Just a stylistic choice since I came up with new ideas once I started to rewrite it that made perfect sense for it to be a prequel. Anyway, #ENJOY…

————————————

01: Keepin' Up Appearances

It's a blistering cold and windy day in Aves Bay, but Sinead Duruisseau is sitting on the edge of the dock at Whitman's Point staring at the afternoon sky. The depressingly gray and cloudy firmament isn't anything spectacular to look at, but that hasn't stopped her from enjoying the moment as it is. Oddly enough, she finds the dreariness to be soothing as she sits in silence, swinging her legs and wiggling her toes in the breeze. She remarks to herself that there isn't a sensation that's more euphoric as it maneuvers between them, ignoring the frigidity all around her.

Sadly, her relaxation is short-lived as a young lady sporting a dark red hoody and grinning like the Cheshire Cat comes barreling down the boardwalk at top speed.

"Oh. My. God—Sinead! I have something really cool to tell you!" She squeals ecstatically, coming dangerously close to tripping on the aluminum walkway as she halts.

"Could you, like, not, Shantrice? I really don't want to hear any gossip right now. Like, JESUS— do you not have anything better to talk about? All you do is spread rumors."

"Excuse me? This isn't gossip! It's a reallyreallyreallyreallyreallyreallyREALLY AMAZING piece of information that you NEED to know!" Shantrice replies matter-of-factly, her voice snapping like a whip. She pauses to bask in the moment, grinning devilishly as she tilts her head back, checking her afro puffs for any damage from hastily running through the freezing gust. "Besides, I saw it with my own eyes."

Sinead snarls and rolls her eyes so hard they could've entered another dimension, "Yeah, I'll pass, Shan. It's hard to believe anything you say you've seen. Actually, I wouldn't trust your eyes if they came notarized."

"The fuck? What is the meaning of this?!"

"The meaning, Shan, is that I'm getting tired of being party to your gossip and delusions. You're always claiming to have seen something, heard something or found something, but can never produce proof to convince anybody otherwise," Sinead stops and stares at the body of water in front of her as she mulls over whether or not she should finish her statement. After briefly running through scenarios of how things could go, she decides to continue. Whatever happens, happens. "The nonsense has begun to damage my reputation just because I associate with you."

"Ummmm… okaaaay?" Shantrice scrunches her nose, feeling perplexed by Sinead's mini-rant. "Like, I'm failing to see the problem here. I mean, if you're really that bothered, then go find a new fuckin' friend. Also, it's not my fault that you muthafuckas are so damn skeptical in this backwards-ass town!"

"How in the hell can you not see a problem?!" Sinead fumes. "And skeptical? Really, Shan? You're gonna go with that shit?!"

"Hell yeah, I am! I mean, dammit, Sinead. We live in a world of people with superpowers and other shit, so pardon me if I'm not as distrustful as you all are. Strange things have been happening all over! ALL! OVER! Don't get mad at, nor blame, me because you're a nonbeliever!"