Chapter 2: Train

The Taxi took more than three hours to arrive in Pennsylvania, and the train station there was chaotic. Adults yelled, trains whistled loud and shrill, alarms sounded and children cried. Henry made his way through the craziness as fast as he could, the sooner they were on the train, the better.

Bendy trembled as his ears picked up the loud noises, he did not understand where they were coming from, but it was concerning just how much noise there was, he wasn't use to it. Henry's hand patted him softly as he walked up to the ticket booth.

"Good afternoon, sir, how may I help you?" the young man in the booth asked, his uniform was a little messy, Henry could see a mustard stain on his front pocket, the name tag above read 'John'.

Henry smiled "One-way ticket to Pasadena, a private booth if you have one, please," He said, getting out his wallet. John nodded. "That will be $60."

Henry grumbled at the large price, it had only been $25 to get here, Linda would kill him for using so much money, but he needed the private booth, for Bendy's sake, as he didn't want him seen. Henry passed him the cash, and John handed him the ticket "Have a good day sir!" he smiled, far too cheerful in Henry's opinion.

Henry walked off with a roll of his eyes and boarded the train, weaving his way carefully around the people to get to the sleeper carriages at the back, Bendy yelped as someone knocked into him, jostling him just enough that his tail slipped out, Henry noticed the spaded end flicking about and quickly tucked it back under his jacket, looking around to see if anyone had noticed. He let out a sigh of relief at all the people absorbed in their own worlds, no one had seen it.

~

The train clicked and clacked along the rails, the afternoon sun shining into the small room. Bendy was sitting beside Henry in the private sleeper carriage, gazing out the window in wonder at all the colours. "It's nice, right?" Henry asked, making Bendy jump at the sudden noise. The ink demon nodded, still a little nervous and a little on edge. Sure, this man had gotten him away from his Creator, but it was still early days to trust him. Bendy grumbled as his thoughts fought against him. Henry was being so nice to him, it was making it hard not to trust the Cartoonist.

But what if he's taking me some place to hurt me?

What if he isn't? What if he just wants to help you?

But I don't deserve help. Joey said I'm useless.

But Henry said your important, the most important thing!

Henry patted him gently as he felt the small demon lean on him. Bendy froze, waiting for the familiar pain, but the gentle pats Henry was giving him weren't painful, and he slowly but surely relaxed, snuggling up better "It's okay bud, you're doing so well" Henry said with a soft smile.

Bendy closed his eyes with a tired yawn, prompting Henry to take off his jacket and cover him in it like a blanket, tucking it around him carefully. "Get some sleep, we have a few more hours yet till we get there."

Bendy obeyed, lulled by the warmth of the jacket and the gentle rocking of the train.

~

Bendy woke an hour later to Henry gently shaking him "Hey, Bud, wake up, I got you some food, are you hungry?" the man asked, holding up a sandwich. Bendy's stomach rumbled pitifully, and he nodded. Henry broke it in half and gave them to him, one in each hand, Bendy blinked in shock.

A whole sandwich just for him? 

"Eat slowly, I know you must be starving, but if you eat it too fast, you'll make yourself sick."

Bendy took a small bite of one of the halves and smiled, it was so good! He had survived mostly on the various cans of bacon soup from Joey, but he had never had one of these things before. The last time he had eaten was days ago, and even then it hadn't been much, Joey sometimes forgot he needed food.

Bendy ate both halves and took the napkin Henry handed to him next, confusion on his face, was it some kinda of bandage? "What's this?" the ink demon asked, Henry chuckled "To wipe your hands on"

"Oh" Bendy said, wiping his fingers, Henry grimaced at the now ink stained screwed up napkin the demon put down next to him, Bendy was melting again, was he afraid? Or was he just nervous? 

"Bendy? Bud? Are you okay?" he asked quietly, Bendy looked up at him, "Y-Yes, I'm fine, I'm just t-tired" he answered. Henry pushed him back over to his side and patted him softly "Go back to sleep then" Bendy leaned his head on Henry's leg carefully and closed his eyes.

~

Bendy woke to the shuddering jarring halt of the train slowing down. The demon almost fell off his seat as it jerked to a sudden stop. Henry grabbed him before he could hit the floor, rubbing his back as Bendy looked around in fear. "It's okay, it's okay, we're here now, that's just the train coming into the station" the man spoke, putting the jacket back on and tucking Bendy back inside before Bendy could think. The ink demon clung to his shirt once more, curling up as small as possible "Stay still and stay quiet" the Cartoonist consoled, before he zipped up his jacket.

Henry walked down the narrow hallway, avoiding the people as best as he could as they all made their way out. Bendy could hear people talking, hurried and annoyed, all in the rush to get off the crowded train. Bendy wanted to block his ears, it was all so loud and scary. But if he let go of Henry's shirt he would fall out.

Eventually it grew quiet, and the zip came back down, he looked up at Henry smiling down at him "You doing okay there, bud?" the man asked.

"Y-Yes, sir," Bendy whispered, Henry zipped it back up "No need to call me sir, Bendy, just Henry is fine"

"S-Sorry, Henry" Bendy replied, burying his face into the shirt. Henry patted him reassuringly as he walked down the street.

~

Bendy tiptoed down the hallway, Joey had fallen asleep at his desk and finally he had a chance to get out of here. He had bandaged his arms up to the elbow after Joeys latest punishment, the white fabric black and ink stained. Bendy wasn't sure if it was his blood or just from him melting all the time in fear as his Creator hurt him. He had only been punished for stealing some food, he had been so hungry, and Joeys lunch had smelt so good.

The floorboards underneath him creaked and Bendy winced, gazing back over his shoulder at the desk. Joey was still thankfully asleep. He hurried down the rest of the hallway, the loud creaks most likely waking his Creator, but it didn't matter anymore, because he was so close to freedom! He jumped up and grabbed for the doorknob, wincing as his arms protested, and for a few seconds he dangled above the floor as he tried to turn the rusted handle. He yelped in fear as he heard footsteps.

"BENDY DREW! YOU GET DOWN FROM THAT DOOR RIGHT NOW!" Joey yelled, looking very angry with his arms crossed. Bendy looked back at him, the man still in his nightgown, and his hair mussed up from where he had been leaning against the desk.

Bendy gulped and dropped to the ground as Joey frowned angrily, curling up in the corner and trembling as his Creator walked up to him in his ink stained slippers.

"Trying to run away, are we?" Joey sneered, grabbing Bendy by the scruff of his neck and lifting him up to eye level. Bendy felt tears run down his face and Joey shook him "DON'T I GIVE YOU ENOUGH ATTENTION!? MAYBE MY FAILURE OF AN EXPERIMENT NEEDS TO BE TAUGHT ANOTHER LESSON!! HMM!?" he snarled.

"N-No! p-p-please!" Bendy stuttered, knowing full well his pleading wouldn't get him anywhere. Joey ignored him and made his way back to the small office. "You belong to me, and you'll stay with me! Is that clear?" Joey asked, quieter this time, but Bendy could hear the annoyed anger laced in his words, the man was obviously fuming at his escape attempt.

Bendy stayed quiet, ink dripping off him and the right side of his face melting.

"IS THAT CLEAR!?" Joey screeched, Bendy whimpered "Y-Yes, sir"

"Good"