Galloway

Helen was furious about how Morgan and everyone made those horrid remarks. She was pissed off, and muttered through her breath as she got home. In her eyes, her home was a sanctuary, a shelter. Hiding her from the elements, yes. But also humiliation and those kind of people.

As she arrived home, she quickly rushed to the kitchen, and looked out to her backyard. When she scanned her eyes for what she was looking for, and found it, she felt a leap of joy. She rushed out of the kitchen, out the door and hugged her.

"Galloway," she breathed. She smiled, and brushed her mane. "Oh, Galloway."

Perhaps it would be best if we say who Galloway is particularly. Galloway is a horse, Helen's horse. She is a beautiful breed, her skin is that of a chocolate brown. Her make is black and silky. She's strong and beautiful. What she can truly distinguish from, apart from the other horses, is that she has a beautiful mark on her forehead, like a star. And her hooves, just above little, are white patches.

Galloway neighed silently, as she reached for Helen's band, and nuzzled it.

Back when Helen and her family used to live in the country, her father's main horse, Riley, had given birth. She had given birth to a healthy but fragile foal. Her mother and Helen both came, to see this foal.

Her father was happy for Riley, and he touched her mane and caressed it. Riley went to her offspring, and tried to help her get up. The foal was so scared, and her legs were shaking. She tried to get up, but she collapsed, her legs sprawled on the hay.

Helen father was watching it closely, and then came a little closer to help. Riley went aside, for she knew he was a good man. The foal was scared however, for she never had seen such thing. She only knew her mother. But when she felt his hands, she felt at ease. She looked to her mother, who was making no effort to help, but was watching the man help her get up.

She felt the ground finally, and she tried to take some steps. She stumbled, and sometimes she laid sprawled on the hay. But she kept getting up, and she kept walking. Until she was with her mother, who, seeing her accomplishing something, let her nurse from herself.

Helen's father was proud, and she remembered that he had told her and her mother, that that foal was something. He could see it.

Overtime the foal grew into a young but beautiful horse. Helen's father meant the horse to her, for he gave it to her as a gift.

Helen took the gift in joy, and she named her Galloway. She remembered that name from a book she read when she was six years old, and for some reason, it had stuck with her all those years, up until she was fifteen.

She cared for Galloway. And once Galloway turned into a mare, a full and beautiful adult, only then she felt that they were ready. She took a competition, a horse riding one, and she and Galloway got into fifth place.

It wasn't bad. It was their first competition afterall.

But Galloway and she herself knew somehing, to keep trying. It ran in their blood.

So they did more competitions, until they got into first place. The day they got into first place, her parents were watching, and when they saw their daughter get the gold medal, they burst into tears. Her mother, after she had won, came up to her, tears in her eyes, and hugged her. Her father didn't hug her until her mother was done, but he gently touched Galloway's back.

Soon, one day, her father suggested that they should live in the city. He had a good job suffering, and he thouht it would be good for Helen's future. His wife agreed. And so he sold his property to a nice couple, and they started to pack.