A Rough Day

A rare a/n at the start from Quinn ! This is a Haikyuu headcanon, more specifically a KuroKen (my fav next to IwaOi (⁎⁍̴̛ᴗ⁍̴̛⁎) ) headcanon. I might write more, I might not. But I hope you enjoy!

~Nanasabae

***

A Rough Day — KuroKen

I walk back home, each limb sore from each step upwards. A mild throbbing accompanies me as I reach the final step. Boots against muddy-red carpet, the smell of mildew and the occasional sounds of chatter from the walls. I make my way down the passage, boot by boot, now with a heavy heart.

My hands reach deep into my coat for keys. They slip and fall out my numbed grasp. I stare. Tears warm my eyes. A deep breath. I bend down, despite the protests of my muscles. I don't want to bother Kenma at this hour. He's probably studying, or asleep...or something. He did mention something about midterms, which means I have midterms too. Damn.

The keys are slot into the door, as I try to enter as discreetly as possible. The floor boards creak as I take the first step in. My boot thundering against the wood floor leads me to give up on being quiet altogether. The door is closed with caution, my boots slipped off, coat shed. The familiar scene of a one-bedroom apartment is in bright view, with Kenma curled up, fast asleep on the couch. I walk a couple of steps forward, gently placing my work bag on the cluttered dining table, where a bowl of half-eaten ramen noodles sits.

Books are piled by his side, with one half open in his grasp. The blanket that's wrapped tightly around him covers his dyed locks and mouth, leaving a small opening for his eyes only. They rest peacefully, hiding his golden-brown pupils. Watching him, washes away whatever throbbing, tears, that popped into mind earlier.

A glance at my watch tells me that it's around twelve. Class starts at seven tomorrow...so breakfast will have to be at six, so I'll have to wake up at five. That gives me just enough time to, sigh, do chores, homework, whatever.

I naturally begin to clean up after Kenma, washing his dishes and doing our laundry. I strip down to my underwear before popping my work clothes into the wash. With that, my stomach grumbles a little. A lot, actually. A small lump of excitement runs through me. I'll finally get t taste the instant noodles that Kenma bought for me. He brought it over from Nerima. It's not really...a special occasion, but it's either this or stale pizza.

After hot water is poured into the styrofoam cup, I pop in and out of the shower, changing from skin to shirt and sweatpants. Finally, sweatpants weather. Sure, my boots are drenched from rain, but at least I won't be sweating tonight. The hot water managed to loosen some of my muscles, freed my shoulders a little. But it doesn't take long for them to crawl back onto my body as I sit on the couch, staring blankly at the steam from the cup.

"Kuuro?"

"Sorry, I woke you."

"No, it's okay. I was waiting for you to get back."

Boss had me working overtime, again. He always does it on Mondays too, the psychopath. But overtime pays well...the whole job pays well.

"I was saving the noodles for you...but they must've turned cold and soggy."

Kenma shifts around, dropping the book in the process. He moves from one end to the other, gently resting his head against my shoulder. Again, my eyes warm, following with my cheeks, temples, nose.

I stuff the noodles into my mouth.

"I'm sorry, I got caught up in work again," the scent of his hair, a mixture of vanilla and mint, sends waves of emotions through me.

"That's alright, how's the noodles?"

The tears spring out involuntarily. My heart turns sour as I set the cup down, pulling my knees up onto the couch. I try to gain some form of control, but the months have finally caught up to me.

A slender arm wraps around my waist. I welcome the embrace with a teary face.

"Are you stressed about mid-terms? I can help you, don't worry about it." His voice is full of worry, as he begins to rub my back.  I shake my head.

A wail claws out of me. The last time I cried this hard, was when I broke up.

"My, mum passed away, Kenma. She got into a car accident on her way from the airport."

His golden eyes widen. "That was her on the news? It was...horrible. A seven car one, but..."

She was the only one that died. He looks at me with a sadness in his eyes, before hugging me even tighter, wrapping the blanket around us. Cold to the touch.

"It's...I'm just stressed is all. Want to taste the noodles?"

He sneezes, before curling into an even smaller ball next to me. The tears suddenly stop. Instead, worry ensues.

"Midterms are in a week..."

"Exactly why you can't fall sick."

"You should keep crying."

"What? Why?"

"We'll match noses. It's not healthy, what you're doing, Kuuro. And it worries me." A sniffle.

"We'll be fine, Kenma." We'll be fine.

He looks at me with protest, before crouching back down into his little ball. With another sniffle, he reaches for the fallen book, which I now know is one of our history readings.

"Let's start."