Crazy Molly?

The first thing I see is a picture of Alex and I, We’re sitting at the bottom of the stairs, a blanket covering us. His arm is around my shoulders, and I’m smiling, but my eyes are gazing past the camera and out into the distance. Whereas Alex is looking straight at the camera, with a slightly glazed but happy look in his eyes.

I’m five.

Too young to be called a child, Too old to be called a toddler. I’m in the middle of that awkward phase, I’ve just lost a couple of my front teeth and my hair is a sort of carrot colour, the colour of a kids crayon.

Louis smiles. “You’re cute.”

“That’s just what he said.”

“Pardon?”

“On my first day of kindergarten, I was incredibly self-conscious, But Alex just took one look at me and said-“

“You’re cute.”

I shook my head nervously. “But what if none of the other kids have lost their teeth yet?”

“Molly, get in.” My mother said, opening the door of the car.

I climb into the car and nervously check out my reflection.

I turn to Alex, frowning nervously. “What if-“

“Molly, It’ll be ok.” Alex said. “You’re cute. They’ll love you.”

“They didn’t.”

“What?”

“ They did not like me. None of those kids. Well, apart from one.”

“Who?”

“Mel.”

“Who’s Mel?”

“My childhood BFF. She was the only one who liked me.”

“What’s she like?”

“I don’t know. We moved and never really stayed in touch.”

I walk over to the fireplace and slowly bend down.

“Molly, No!” Louis says, walking over to me. “Don’t do it.”

I drop the picture, and watch as the flames lick it up eagerly, slowly the picture melts away, until it is nothing but a pile of ash on a dirty fireplace, no longer a prison to hold those unwanted memories.

“Molly, why are you acting like this?”  He asks.

“Acting like what?” I ask, feeling dazed and dizzy.

“You’re acting crazy. You talk to yourself and half the things you say don’t even make sense anymore.”

“Maybe I’ve finally gone mad.” I say softly, my eyes darting all around the room.

“Maybe you have.” Louis says, studying my face.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! I scream;

“Stop it! STOP IT!” I scream, pressing my hands against my ears.

CLUNCK! The phone dropped.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

“Stop it, Louis, You have got to stop the noise. The screams. I can hear them! STOP THEM!”

“Molly.” Louis says, jerking my face to meet mine. “Molly, Molly. Listen to me. There is no screams.”

“AAAALLLLEEX!”

“OhMyGod OhMyGod-“

“AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!”

“They’re getting louder.” I said, clenching my teeth. “The screams! Make them stop!”

“Molly, there is no-“

“Make theemmmm stop. Stop. stop.”

I began to sob.

“911! 911! MY BROTHER IS.. “

“AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!”

“Alex, Alex… Please. Please be ok!”

“I love him.” I sobbed. “I love him so much.”

“Molly.” Louis soothed, hugging me.

“Why do they have to go? Why does everyone delicate and good have to leave me? Why?”

“Molly, everything is going to be ok.”

“Really?” I asked, feeling light-headed.

“Of course it is.” Louis soothed.

And that was the last thing I remembered before everything went black.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

OOooooooh. Crazy Molly. Confused? Basically Molly’s reliving the scene in which her brother died over and over again in her head. Oh and RandomRhino got the answer right! The couple is JAMES AND LILY! hehe, make sense now?

X Gwen